new at this

Basic math.

Vp / Vs = Np / Ns

Now substitute the quantities you have:

Vp / 25 = 20 / 100

Get Vp on one side by multiplying both sides by the denominator...

(Vp / 25) * 25 = (20 / 100) * 25

Vp = (20 / 100) * 25 = 5 VAC

So, the primary is 5 volts AC. Transformers can be step up and step down. This one is a step up transformer.

It looks like you need to brush up on your basic algebra before continuing the Basic Electronics course. You can't do much of any electronics without at least a basic (1st year high school) math background.

There are quite a few good books which can help you. Possibly, if you're up front with your teacher that you're a little light on math skills, he can recommend one he's familiar with. He might even recommend a good tutor or other resource to help you out.

This group usually doesn't provide answers to homework questions.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Intro to transformers:

A transformer has 20 primary windings and 100 secondary windings. If the secondary voltage is 25v, Find the Primary voltage.

Vp/Vs =Np/Ns

20p/100 =

Now i'am stuck Please explain.

Reply to
piller32

You have expressed an equation. The equation has four variables. You are given three of them Come on!

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Sometimes sums will hurt your head when you represent them as equations and try to eat them all at once.

The secondary has 25V across it with 100 turns. So the secondary voltage per turn is 25/100 or 0.25.

The primary voltage per turn is the same so the primary voltage is 20*0.25 or 5V.

Give yourself a new variable called the voltage per turn, Vt. Divide the secondary voltage, Vs, by the number of secondary turns, Ns, to get Vt, the voltage per turn.

Vt = Vs/Ns = 25/100 = 0.25V

Having found the voltage per turn multiply it by the number of primary turns to find the primary voltage.

Vp = Vt*Np = 0.25*20 = 5V

Since you had an equation for Vt you can substitute it in the above and get

Vp = (Vs/Ns)*Np = Vs*Np/Ns = 25*20/100 = 5V

You can take your original equation...

Vp/Vs =Np/Ns

and convert it to what I had by multiplying both sides by Vs

Vs*Vp/Vs = Vs*Np/Ns

Vs/Vs, on the left hand side, is 1 so things cancel and you get

Vp = Vs*Np/Ns

Like before, then you plug in the values for Vs, Np and Ns and get

Vp = 25*20/100 = 5V

Like before.

What you're dealing with here is algebra, part of mathematics. You tried to jump too far and got lost. The almost nice thing is that it's a practical application so you can go back and say.... 'It's a transformer so the number of volts per turn is the same' and move forward.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I've just spent ten minutes puzzling how a transformer can have 20 primary

*windings*

Most have only one.

I think you mean *turns*, rather than *windings*. Your example has two windings in the generally accepted sense of the term, a primary winding of

20 turns and a secondary winding of 100 turns.

Hence Np/Ns = 20/100 = 1/5

So it's a 1:5 step-up transformer.

Hence the primary voltage is 5V

Since this looks like a homework problem, now go figure what the current in the primary will be if the current in the secondary is 5 Amps.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

You can do this if you know fractions: The voltage ratio (Vp/Vs) is equal to the turns ratio (Np/Ns). We know the turns ratio (Np/Ns) 20/100 which equals 1/5. We know Vs is 25. The formula Vp/Vs = Np/Ns becomes: Vp/25 = 1/5 and the question becomes: What ratio, with 25 in the denominator, is equal to 1/5?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr