Look at this ?

Radio shack in Ebay?

Btw, look at those prices :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Same price as on their web site:

hamilton

I noticed that Tower Hobbies (the Amazon of model airplane stuff) does pretty much the same thing.

Why not? If it catches the eyeballs of those who only ever shop on eBay, it'll lead to more sales.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

One way to keep a store alive. We had two RS stores about 25-30 miles apart in rural CO Rockies. One died, the other is still open, but only cuz it's also a bait/fishing shop, so has other retail assets. I don't know what happened the one that closed, but ebay might have been a viable option.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
notbob

There's an RS a few miles from me. Go in, there's three clerks, no customers, but a nice bin of ordinary things like resistors, capacitors, and hook-up wire.

I don't know how they survive. I suspect it's a front for a money-laundering operation ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

eBay,

Convenience? The one near my house wanted $6 apiece for the button cells I needed for my car remote. Fry's had one brand for $3 apiece, and Eveready for $2. They were good until 2019, so I bought the Eveready's. I could have bought a Blu-Ray disc with my savings.

Yes, the trip would have cost more in gas, but I stopped on the way back from a picnic.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

I think it's cell phones, and batteries. Never seen anyone looking for anything else in RS. Except around Christmas time, then the RC toys seem to fly off the shelves.

Martin Riddle

I drop into RS when I'm in a hurry. If I can make time, I go to Fry's; mostly I just flip open the Newark website. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

On Jul 5, 6:21=A0pm, spamtrap1888 wrote: > Yes, the trip would have cost more in gas, but I stopped on the way > back from a picnic.

And if your cells are 2032 go get 'em at DigiKey for 25 cents in 10 lot. For the displays, anybody silly enough to shell out $22 for a 7 segment display deserves no sympathy. Go to Jameco

1

and get 22 for your $22.

Every time I got to Rat Shack I wonder why I did it though last time I actually got 100 ohm 1/2 Watt resistors.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

5/$1 at the local flea market.

NTE replacment parts are for people who are in a hurry to repair something, not people on a budget.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I went there for the first time in years and years recently- a 5x20mm fuse for 10-20x the price of (even) Digikey, but they did have it on a Sunday.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

$0.98 each for my CR 1620s.

Having one nearby would have been great when I was a kid with a bike. I remember in desperation going to the TV repair shop near my house for a 1/4 W CC resistor marked up 20X.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

I've noticed the coin cells at Fry's have expiration dates, but you go to a Wal-mart and they don't. So I make the trip to Fry's, even though I suspect their isn't much difference.

I wonder why Fry's even bothers to sell components. Their stock really isn't sufficient to build much, and the component isle is as empty as the Apple isle [When you have Apple stores in your area, that is where the sheep buy. Lots of price fixing with Apple goods.]

The Fry's on Brokaw (San Jose for those not in the valley) does have a decent tool selection. Even scopes. So they cater to the electronic biz a bit, but parts...forget it.

Reply to
miso

You're an idiot.

Btw, you're an idiot.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Nymbecile Dimbulb ( J Shepard ) 1950 Cherrywood Street, Vista, CA

92081

He's listed as J Shepard living with Rita J Shepard (86) and Jack V Shepard (87). (760) 598-1123

1950 Cherrywood Street, Vista, CA 92081

He could be in his early 50's living with Mommy and Daddy. It's possible that he's Jack V Shepard, but I doubt he's 87. I think it's more likely he's an an adopted little bastard.

I knew he was formerly of Oceanside, CA because he posted with his IP address showing in his post headers once.

2081-7359

Parcel # 169-432-41-00 SHEPARD FAMILY 1990 REVOCABLE TRUST 02-07-90

Reply to
Greegor

A TV shop that stocked 1/4 W resistors? I have never been in a shop that stocked 1/4W in Carbon Comp. 1/2 W, 1 W and a few 2 W was the standard stock, since lower wattages were only used in things like GE & Motorola business radios. I have a 1/10 W Ohmite 'Red Devil' kit I bought from a parts house. It was in stock for over five years and had never been opened. They finally sold the entire package for $10.

How do you know what the markup was? Local parts houses socked a shop for a small quantity of resistors or capacitors because they knew you needed them today, not next week. Between purchase price & overhead we had around 50 cents in a resistor that was bought one off, and retailed them for 95 cents in 1970. It was the same price over the counter or on a work order. You didn't get a price break unless you bought the full, unopened package of 50.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(...)

So Halted Specialties in Sunnyvale, Jameco in Belmont is about 'it' for 'real' bricks'n'mortar parts stores in the South Bay Area?

RIP Peninsula Electronics, San Jose Olson Electronics Santa Clara Alco, San Jose Weatherbee Industrial Electronics, San Jose Triangle Machinery RA Enterprises Haltek Etc. Etc.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Cell phones have a *huge* markup; no cost, just revenue.

I'm sure that's their profit for the year. It is for most businesses.

Reply to
krw

way

..

shop

It must have been 1/2 watt then. Memory fails -- see the "glioma" thread.

As a kid I didn't understand overhead. Although my memory is unreliable, I think I could have bought that resistor at Lafayette or Allied Radio for a nickel.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

It is just like firecrackers.

Buy a bundle and you get them cheap.

Buy one, and it costs you, and it may even be a dud.