Electric 'noise' in my apartment

I have a really annoying problem in my apartment. MY TV picks up most electrical noise from other apartments, from me switching other equipment on/off , from upstairs laundromat etc.. The noise appears as horizontal lines of snow.

The other problem is that my PC sound setup is also affected - I can hear a click at the same time I see the noise lines on the TV.

I've tried surge suppressors, fancy powerboard but they don't really help and I don't have enough knowledge on this matter. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

thanks

Reply to
Shadowking

"Shadowking"

** This is very common with indoor TV antennas - if there is no roof top one to use then its time to invest in a digital Set Top Box. DSE have a very good one for about $ 145.
** That is a harder one - usually the only complete cure is to fit suppression caps to the switches inside the offending appliances .

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A digital set top (DST) box wont help if the noise is RF spark related. DST boxes are great for low level reception issues but mine still stumbles whenever I turn on an adjacent light switch. But yes, only caps at the source of the noise will cure the RF interference issue. Older washing machines are a very likely culprit.

Reply to
Heywood Jablome

Why do they call them apartments when they are not very far apart? They should call them closements.

Reply to
Heywood Jablome

"Heywood Jablome"

** Yes and no.

If the RF noise burst is intense, then the pic on a ( decent) STB will just momentarily freeze - this may easily go unnoticed by a viewer.

However, the bright flash on the screen with analogue TV "bugs" some olk - massively.

** Agreed - plus fridges and fluoro lights.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Heywood Jablome"

** Cos they keep the occupants "apart " - silly.

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I have a DSE $148 STB and my aerial is sitting in my roof space. Will mounting the aerial on the roof stop/reduce interference from 240v being switched and interference from the electric trains?

Reply to
Ralph

A mains line filter might be worth trying in case the crap is coming in that way

David

Heywood Jablome wrote:

Reply to
quietguy