Need: Cheap (Inexpensive) enclosures

In search of an inexpensive enclosure. Dimensions: 16"H x 14W" x 6"D (or thereabouts, but at least 6"D). Needs a hinged door (non-removeable), and preferably with external mounting tabs to mount it to a wall. NEMA-1 is fine. Doesn't need to be anything too fancy or special. A quarter turn latch is a plus, but latches are OK t oo. No doors with screw covers however (which typically don't have hinged doors anyway - but I'll mention it for completeness.)

Budget: under $35 (USD) in QTY-1000

Mild steel, aluminum or polycarbonate is fine.

Why is this SO DIFFICULT to find?? It's just a simple box!

Closest I've found so far is around $70, and that's just ridiculous.

Anybody know where to find some decent quality boxes at a reasonable cost?

To give you an idea of the sort of box I'm looking for, the Hammond CHKO161

26 is reasonably close, except that it's got way too many electrical knocko uts on it. That's an "Oh" in the part#, not a zero.

Digikey link:

Note: This might actually work, except for the way-too-many knockouts. It's a little narrower than I would like (at only 12"), but the design is s till somewhat flexible and we could probably still make 12" work - though 1

4" is better. But again, this Hammond box is out due to all the knockout.

I'm just trying to source a plain-old box. But if metal, I'll probably want to powder-coat it (not included in the $35

-$40 target budget).

Reply to
mpm

Hi, if maybe these would work:

This shop's prices are pretty good; I got a quote of $42 in quantities of 10s for 5" deep 2U rackmount enclosures with an IEC knockout on back and blank front panel with handles, black powder-coat.

Reply to
bitrex

Black anodized, rather, not powder-coat

Reply to
bitrex

Give this a shot!!

ABLE1

I have been looking into having fabricated a chassis such as the Waveteks l ike the 103, 111 whatever. i do not want all the boards standing up like th ey have but I think the concept is good, and a piece off that is because it is adaptable to many things. A shear and a brake and you got it, well some grinders/polishers for the edges of course.

Reply to
jurb6006

You're searching the wrong places. Hammond + electronics = expensive. Look for "low voltage" boxes, like used for alarms, keycard readers and building automation. The price suddenly drops.

Bud is one maker that may have want you want and for 1000 you're probably in the custom product range where options you don't need can be trimmed off.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

So two pices of sheet folded into a square C shape and interlocked to make box

You could use "rivnuts" to provide holes for the mounting bolts for mounting the board

If your shear sharp you probably only need to wave a stone or a finishing file over the cut edge.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Bud is actually really great--they do custom machining for insanely cheap even in small batches.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs