OT: All cars electric..

None of this is of any value if used in place of actual tests of the gas mixture in the pipes in question. Clearly this is not a problem in the real world as it is being used.

--

  Rick C.

  --+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Michael Terrell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

EMP is also able to damage circuits that are not even energized. So those gen sets better be real dumb units.

The grid is not what goes down, the controls for it would, and by association, they would not generate.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

since 8pm yesterday ... it's now 3am

Well, this is the emergence we are discussing. I am just trying it out to remind myself not to do it if my life (or schedule) or somebody's life (or schedule) depends on it.

After driving/charging 220 miles in 48 hours with the Leaf, i am stuck in Merced, CA outside the Nissan dealer. Nissan, Ford, Toyota and Honda dealers are all closed and ICEing their chargers.

I have a couple of miles left to move it in the morning, but not enough to try out other chargers like the college and county office. I would not even attempt to do so, since they are running perhaps custom apps for their chargers. Can't believe how many ways to skin the cat and switching electricity.

So, i am running the laptop (warmer) on the 2kW aux battery. Should last at least until the morning.

PS: don't drive EV for long distance, even Tesla could run out.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I guess it was a miracle I made it from DC to Houston and back. Yup, a blessed miracle.

Or maybe it had to do with buying a rational car and then driving it rationally?

--

  Rick C.

  --+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

e:

lessed miracle.

onally?

It's a miscalculation. Day time visit only in Merced. It's a man-made eme rgency, since there is no incentive for dealers to support EV. Imagine clo sing all gas station after business hours. BYW, no Tesla dealer nearby as well. As least i enjoy sucking up all the Nissan electricity, coffee and u sing the rest room when available.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

dont forget the string of vehicles leaving south Flordia heading to points (very) north to escape hurricanes. My problem with EVs is that no matter how rational and careful the driving habits, routing, and planning may be, there are cases that make a singular technology with very limited auxiliary or alternative fuel/propulsion appro aches that make them unacceptable. With single source gasoline or hybrid v ehicles, one can throw a 5 gal can of gasoline in the trunk and get an addi tional 75 to 100+ miles to get to a safe state. The refueling can happen in 5 mins. I can't throw 500 D cell batteries in an EV as a backup. If I cou ld, I'd still need to take 1-8 hours (depending on the approach) to fully r echarge the primary batteries....as the hurricane sweeps over the area wher e my vehicle is recharging, as well as taking out parts of the power distri bution system. This is why, IMHO, hybrids make the most sense.

Reply to
three_jeeps

s (very) north to escape hurricanes.

g habits, routing, and planning may be, there are cases that make a singula r technology with very limited auxiliary or alternative fuel/propulsion app roaches that make them unacceptable. With single source gasoline or hybrid vehicles, one can throw a 5 gal can of gasoline in the trunk and get an ad ditional 75 to 100+ miles to get to a safe state. The refueling can happen in 5 mins. I can't throw 500 D cell batteries in an EV as a backup. If I c ould, I'd still need to take 1-8 hours (depending on the approach) to fully recharge the primary batteries....as the hurricane sweeps over the area wh ere my vehicle is recharging, as well as taking out parts of the power dist ribution system.

I don't live in southern Florida, so this particular scenario doesn't bothe r me so much. I'm more worried about those five asteroids they discovered that were in near-Earth orbits which is to say not at all.

What is more interesting is the rational that prompts millions of people to live on a one dimensional strip of land that is only a few feet above sea level and is hit frequently by massive hurricanes. Why would anyone want t o live someplace that has the same problem, year after year, after year? B eing devastated is not a question of if, but only of when.

Why, why, why?

--

  Rick C.

  --++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

s (very) north to escape hurricanes.

g habits, routing, and planning may be, there are cases that make a singula r technology with very limited auxiliary or alternative fuel/propulsion app roaches that make them unacceptable. With single source gasoline or hybrid vehicles, one can throw a 5 gal can of gasoline in the trunk and get an ad ditional 75 to 100+ miles to get to a safe state. The refueling can happen in 5 mins. I can't throw 500 D cell batteries in an EV as a backup.

I have 500 18650 in 50 pound suitcase. They can be fully charged and carry on the train/bus if necessary.

to fully recharge the primary batteries....

Just tapping on the 12V bus reduce drain on the main battery. So, the main can last a bit longer. When out of immediate danger zone, i can invert it back to the main battery.

well as taking out parts of the power distribution system.

Our problem here is earthquake. Gas stations/trucks are not immune to the damages. At least the sun will still be shining.

Hybrids are by definition a combination of two systems, and cost more than either one alone to buy and maintain.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

We have a similar issue driving over the Sierra crest to lake Tahoe. A blizzard or a spinout may slow traffic to a crawl in zero-degree weather, with nowhere to charge.

Hybrids make a little sense for urban stop-and-go driving that recovers some braking energy, for people who count every penny. But not enough sense to make it interesting to me. Hybrids aren't economical in San Francisco.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

her me so much. I'm more worried about those five asteroids they discovere d that were in near-Earth orbits which is to say not at all.

to live on a one dimensional strip of land that is only a few feet above se a level and is hit frequently by massive hurricanes. Why would anyone want to live someplace that has the same problem, year after year, after year? Being devastated is not a question of if, but only of when.

To be as far from you, as possible? :)

I have lived in Florida for over 30 years, and very little of the state is only three feet above sea level. Hurricanes hit anywhere from Mexico to New York State, not just Florida. I have been through three hurricane seasons in that time that called for evacuation, but I live in the center of the st ate where there is a lot less damage. Compare that to the northern Coastal states with severe freezing and other issues. Down here, home ownership is the standard, not living in cramped apartments with no parking, high crime and homeless pissing on your doors. To me there is no other choice.

The highest point in Florida is 345 ft which is higher than many places in New England and the Great Lakes areas.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Michael Terrell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Pretty damned ambiguous... "some places".

There are entire towns and cities in those same areas where *nothing* is that far down. We got hills, much less mountains and most make 345 ft pale. The Delaware Water Gap is at 335 ft.

I know of zero "places" in Florida where one can sit on a road and look UP 335 ft to the top of "Florida".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Next time I'm in Florida I must climb to the top of Mt Florida! I'll bring some oxygen bottles just in case.

--

  Rick C.

  --+++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Why bother? There is no oxygen on your planet.

Make sure that you visit Sugarloaf Mountain.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I've been there. 1,283 ft high it is part of a ridge between Clarksburg and Frederick, MD. But we have real mountains in MD too.

--

  Rick C.

  -+--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Michael Terrell wrote in news:93ef4b68- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I am from Tralfamador. I live in a bubble.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Driving and parking aren't practical in San Francisco; hybrid bus transport, though is very practical and economical.

Reply to
whit3rd

Wrong, as usual. I'm talking about the Sugarloaf Mountain, in Florida.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

So it looks like you are the one who is wrong. I'm not sure you can even call that a mountain.

Sugarloaf, FL isn't really a mountain. That's just where the pole is under the ground that's holding the state out of the water.

Yup, there it is. You can actually see it from the road. lol

--

  Rick C.

  -+--+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Nothing better to do at Nissan; so, coffeeing, interneting and trolling.

*** Nissan Leaf Hopping/Blowing ***

Well, this is the emergence we have been discussing. I am just trying it out to remind myself not to do it if my life (or schedule) or somebody's life (or schedule) depends on it. But i have have short memories.

After driving/charging 200 miles in 2 days with the Leaf, i am stuck in Merced, CA outside the Nissan dealer. Nissan, Ford, Toyota and Honda dealers are all closed and ICEing their chargers. It's freezing cold outside, but my laptop is warming.

I have a couple of miles left to move it in the morning, but not enough to try out other chargers like the college and county office. I would not even attempt to do so, since they are running perhaps custom apps for their chargers. Can't believe how many ways to skin the cat and switching electricity.

So, i am running the laptop (warmer) on the 2kW aux battery. Should last at least until the morning.

PS: don't drive EV for long distance, even Tesla could run out.

--------------------------

Well, almost back to BA, 300 miles in 3 days Leaf Hopping, including

5 Nissaning, 4 chargepointing, 3 freebieing, 2 haggling and 1 evgoing. (haggling: brother, can you spare some electricity?)

Cost around $10 including a whopping $6 Evgo rip-off to go 30 miles.

Finally, some electronics discussion in this forum. Before next trip, need to increase buffer batteries to 10kWh (half lead acid and half lithium) and extracting/limiting circuits. The extracting circuit drains the lithium half down to 8V, while keeping the lead acid at 12V. The limiting circuit current limit while increasing the voltage from 8V to 12V.

Secretly, i might fire up the SRB motors for Leaf Blowing in the middle of Edward's AFB (not Edward AFB). But i must publicly deny about the heavy pollution of SRB fuel, not to mention driving an unsafe vehicle.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Slot-car tracks where appropriate.

Clive