OT: All cars electric..

Clive Arthur wrote in news:qukf54$tem$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Or place bike cranks inside the car for this. The 'bike crank guy' would simply run off with the crank and sell that. Hehe.

Still a good idea.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ght

t up in

an

A bicycle pedal generator as an option for Els? You'd keep warm and recharge the batteries at the same time. You could add additional pedal systems for the passengers - for the Ubers stuck in the snow...

Plus Fred Flintstone would be proud of you...

Could be a game changer!

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

John Robertson wrote in news:1K2dnWKbwM snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The add for the car starts out with the little crank boats we used to glide around the local parks with. Then moves on to a Flintstone flashback and some guy getting ready to soak his calloused feet, and then a bike crank and mo more callouses...

Do you want a reduced rate? Get on that crank and start turning rubber!

The future has arrived...

Oh wait... I saw a BEER TROLLEY here the other month (summer) and all the riders had cranks that powered the big open beer bar down the street. I thought it was funny that folks would pay more than normal for each beer, then waste all that buzz by cranking the bar itself down the street. And they did not even have a pool table!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Probably propaganda.

SF is usually crystal-clear, or decorated with clean fog off the ocean.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Until you do the math. It's hard work to generate even 100 watts for long. It's more efficient to get out and push the car.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

it?

ut whether there should be EV here, all their taxis and buses are already r unning on electricity.

Hard to be fake. All buses and taxis, not just some. They interviewed a T axi driver who really want to have ICE instead, because he can make more mo ney without waiting for charging. The government would not allow it. As l ong as the rule applies to everybody, it's fair and square.

I had contacts in my previous life (20 years ago), but not right now. Some one with contacts there can probably verify it.

an Francisco either. We, in the U.S. are falling behind in the EV race.

Yes, that's why they are going all EV for public transportation.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 12:18:33 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

t it?

ur

bout whether there should be EV here, all their taxis and buses are already running on electricity.

Taxi driver who really want to have ICE instead, because he can make more money without waiting for charging. The government would not allow it. As long as the rule applies to everybody, it's fair and square.

There was a test installation in one of the Scandinavian countries I believ e where they added wireless charging to the taxi stands. The taxi drivers liked it since they could charge while waiting for a fare. Sounds like Chi na needs to get on the stick.

meone with contacts there can probably verify it.

San Francisco either. We, in the U.S. are falling behind in the EV race.

Mostly you can ignore JL. He likes to troll with posts that seem to say so mething but actually don't. Then people interpret his nonsense and start b abbling about all manner of things. He often talks about how lovely life i s in SF as if that means it could be that way for everyone if they just did what he does. Pointless to discuss much with him.

Then to top it off, JL will claim others are trolling and posting off topic and he does this after being a part of the off topic discussions!!! I thi nk he is getting old.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

ote:

out it?

hour

about whether there should be EV here, all their taxis and buses are alrea dy running on electricity.

a Taxi driver who really want to have ICE instead, because he can make mor e money without waiting for charging. The government would not allow it. As long as the rule applies to everybody, it's fair and square.

I am still trying to find that video link, interesting stuffs. Things are moving rapidly there, 5 years is a life time. Don't bring cash (USD or YMB ). They are all cashless now (only Alipay and Wechat). Don't believe me. Just listen to Jim Roger, Warren Buffet and Bill Gates. They are all conn ected there.

eve where they added wireless charging to the taxi stands. The taxi driver s liked it since they could charge while waiting for a fare. Sounds like C hina needs to get on the stick.

My solution is simple: Two girls for every guy, or two EVs for every driver . Drive one and charge one.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I take it you have not experienced highway 5 from Seattle towards Tacoma and/or Olympia...most especially during a traffic jam....

Reply to
Robert Baer

NO...it would be WORSE; most people do not know how to drive.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The electric busses here do climb the hills better that diesels, and need less maintenance, but they get their power from overhead trolleys, not tons of batteries. Lots more ugly wires.

The diesels are much cleaner than they used to be. No visible particulates any more.

I do see all sorts of weird single-person battery powered transport. Scooters, bicycles, surfboards, unicycles, wonderful bizarre things. They seem to climb moderate hills pretty well.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

ut it?

our

about whether there should be EV here, all their taxis and buses are alread y running on electricity.

a Taxi driver who really want to have ICE instead, because he can make more money without waiting for charging. The government would not allow it. A s long as the rule applies to everybody, it's fair and square.

omeone with contacts there can probably verify it.

e San Francisco either. We, in the U.S. are falling behind in the EV race.

The hills are usually served by diesels buses, but e-buses would be more ef ficient downhill regen rather than braking.

There is no reason not to have the other half going electric.

But CO2 and NO are not visible.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 12:18:33 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

Taxi driver who really want to have ICE instead, because he can make more money without waiting for charging.

I guess the cars they have use small batteries. My car would run for four hours easily if not at 70 mph. Then take lunch while charging and drive an other 4 hours. Lather, rinse, repeat until your rear is sore and you need some sleep.

I read where Tesla has now sold more cars than the Chinese company BYD. Th ey seem to be in a neck and neck race and the Chinese car market is slowing down. So Tesla may surge ahead for a while until the slow down hits the r est of the world. China has a very large economy these days. When China s neezes, the world catches a cold.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Was that just a question or were you thinking you were making some sort of statement?

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Electric cars do not consume energy, when in a traffic jam. I use the same amount of battery in an optimum fast 18-minute commute, as I do in a horrible 90-minute commute. OK, some for lights + radio, but it's insignificant.

Those of us who value our electricity, use minimal electric heat in the car, in winter, we just dress very warmly.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

China is building coal plants all over the world, at a rate that makes our small emissions savings irrelevant. People in Africa and South America and the rest of Asia want electricity and heat and transportation too.

If the AGW effect is real (and it's likely not) we'd better get used to it.

One known effect of CO2 is greening the planet, which will feed a lot of hungry people.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

As more cars become electric, the acres of charging slots will get extreme. I can gas up my car in 5 minutes, but an electric might need a half hour or so. The drivers will go to lunch or something and if they don't return when the car is charged, that ties up the slot even longer.

I've read about fights breaking out over charging slots.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's a fraction of the motive energy, but it can be significant if you are running heat or air conditioning. Other uses are pretty trivial in compari son unless you are stuck in the traffic jam from hell. I was stuck behind a rock fall once in my Tesla. I was preparing to spend the night and found if I moved too much in the driver's seat it would wake up the console whic h is a bit bright. It didn't occur to me to dim it (or maybe I hadn't foun d that control in the UI yet). I had a blanket in the car and a trucker br ought water around to everyone (he must have had a case or two in his cab) and was ready to spend the night when vehicles behind us started to move. They were getting all the big rigs off to one side and letting the cars tur n around and leave first. I found a motel and charged in the parking lot o vernight.

I'm not shy about using the heat. It's not too hard to keep warm with clot hing if you are moving about. But when sitting it is hard to keep the extr emities warm. The heated seat and steering wheel only do so much. If it's really cold I keep my feet warm with the heater.

Eventually they will have full self driving working and I'll be able to cli mb into a sleeping bag and wake up at my destination. lol Not sure how lo ng that will be though. Musk claims my hardware will support that. I just got an upgrade to the ECU3 which is supposed to be the enabler. We'll see .

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Not physical fight yet, but yes verbal fights. Problem is doctors doing their ICE and PAN, mostly with Teslas. They don't really need to charge, but convenient parking spaces. I give them tickets, but they just ignore them.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

So, it's Oakland that gets the emissions to breathe. When acidification kills back the ocean, though, your SF breezes will have rotting fish and decaying seaweed accents.

Reply to
whit3rd