OT: All cars electric..

Hmmm . . . . Food for Thought

Snow, Traffic Jams and Electric Cars - has anyone thought about it? If all cars were electric ... and were caught up in a three hour traffic jam? With dead batteries - then what? Not to mention, that there is virtually no heating in an electric vehicle. And if you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating ! You can try calling 911 to bring women and children to safety! But they can not even come to help you since all roads are blocked ! And when the roads become cleared, no one can move! How do you charge the thousands of cars from the traffic jam? Same problem during summer vacation departures with miles of traffic jams. This will make cars run out of ?fuel? and cause never ending traffic jams. But that will never happen, right ?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:qC9PF.90861$ snipped-for-privacy@fx44.iad:

I like the idea of putting everything into viaducts. No more pollution spewing forth, so no worry of cars or people petering out.

Escape tunnels every so often for you fire paranoia folks. Some fire abatement gear here and there too.

Cars locked at or BELOW a specific speed. No ICE.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

When we get to that point, hopefully the last mile problem would be solved. Electricity is available everywhere. There's just no easy way to buy and sell. Every street light pole is a potential charging point, if there is a way to pay for it.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

The battery exchange is a way to avoid all those problems. Each electric car has 4 batteries that are extracted at the fuel depot. Delivery trucks and drones deliver fresh batteries. Identification of batteries tracks wearing out status, and debits. Only 1 batter is used at a time, so 3 are fresh until exchanged at the gas station. cells.

Reply to
omnilobe

At a complete stop with the range extender engine shut down my Volt only draws 500 watts with the heater and AC off. Maybe even less the power indicator doesn't go any lower. Accelerating forward to 10-15 mph then draws about 2kW for a few seconds. Coast along for a a hundred yards down to 500 watts again. Then the regeneration recoups the kinetic energy each time you brake.

You can goose it along through stop-and-go traffic for hours with fantastic efficiency.

If your battery is near depleted when you hit a 3 hour traffic jam then same situation as if your fuel tank is nearly depleted when you hit a 3 hour traffic jam I guess. Try not to do that. 3 hour traffic jams are extremely unusual, I've been driving every day for 25 years in one of the most congested areas of the country that gets the heaviest snowfall and I've never hit one that long.

In a contest the guy with the near empty tank is gonna be the one walking I expect.

Reply to
bitrex

The packs are built into the structure of the car, you can't "hot swap" 'em, they weigh like 1500 lbs. User-swappable packs is a "solution" to a non-reality-based problem.

They don't routinely wear out they rarely suffer significant degradation before 100-150k miles unless there was a manufacturing defect.

Reply to
bitrex

And if all cars can fly, we avoid the traffic jams.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

Yes, if you depends on the manufacturer to build the batteries. I build custom 20 pounds battery modules that i can bring them indoor to charge.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Battery-powered copter that could seat 5 with a flight time of 1 hour/150 mile range would need a pack energy density of about 350Wh/kg, densities aren't there yet but it's a ten-years-away thing

Reply to
bitrex

With four rotors, mission-continue on one rotor out and immediate-land capability with two rotors out, sounds pretty safe too

Reply to
bitrex

I recall the multi-car accident where a gasoline truck slammed into a bridg e abutment killing two people and closing two highways for hours. Not only was it a terrible accident but a horrific story that shocked the DC area.

It's actually hard to find on the internet because of all the other fiery g as truck accidents which so frequently kill drivers and innocents. We don' t recall them so much because we have become inured from the frequency of s uch accidents and have grown to consider them an inevitable part of life. Once EVs are the dominant species of autos and trucks, we will hardly ever hear of these fiery disasters again.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

If it were legal Americans would play a hefty extra premium for a combination flamethrower/rocket launcher called the Jesus Destructor

9000 that could be used to blast slower vehicles out of the way particularly when say, impatient behind a school bus. Eat blazing electric death, kiddos! in the name of Jesus.
Reply to
bitrex

There would probably be no smoke and smog.

That would be an interesting situation, which I would rather not try myself. I think towing (is that word used when the car is ON the truck ?) is currently the only feasivle option. You could slow-charge with generator or from other car to get to the next charging station, but that's slow.

In the future there might be bidirectional charing ports, but getting

100s of cars moving is a different matter.

Save your battery..

Driving in Finland, I can assure you that's not the case. I've got

for 5 minutes, after which heat pump uses about 0.5-1kW. Being cheap, I usully turn even those off after getting glasses clear. Winter clothes are enough to stay warm.

EVs are quite efficient in stop&go traffic. Limiting A/C usage would be the first thing when hitting a jam, but on the other hand we do not have real jams or hot weather around here..

I've been driving EV for 1 month now, so I'm not yet a fully member of the church - many EV people seem almost religious about the stuff while for me it's just a vehicle.

--
mikko
Reply to

Even in a car with no heat, when stranded, it's possible to survive in Arctic temperatures outside without risk of hypothermia just by keeping a small stack of old newsprint in the trunk, which can be crumpled up around the body and used to fashion an expedient layer of thermal insulation.

Reply to
bitrex

You have been watching too many episodes of Thunderbirds!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Flip out the handle and start cranking. Charge the battery and keep yourself warm. Or get some enterprising 'I crank for cash' guy to do it.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

I was just watching a video on Shenzhen. While we are still arguing about whether there should be EV here, all their taxis and buses are already runn ing on electricity. And they don't need ugly power lines running all aroun d the city like San Francisco either. We, in the U.S. are falling behind i n the EV race.

self.

es 4kW

A 100W thermo blanket can keep you comfortable for hours. Even my small 24 KWh battery can run it for 240 hours, or 10 days. It's probably longer tha n running the alternator on ICE.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

t?

t whether there should be EV here, all their taxis and buses are already ru nning on electricity. And they don't need ugly power lines running all aro und the city like San Francisco either. We, in the U.S. are falling behind in the EV race.

China? Heck yeah. That's why Tesla opened their second factory in Shenzhe n. That will ultimately be a bigger market than here in the US.

myself.

tor

w.

uses 4kW

24KWh battery can run it for 240 hours, or 10 days. It's probably longer t han running the alternator on ICE. 12 volts at 8 amps. Do they make 12 volt DC blankets? My Tesla has heated seats. That would work pretty good with a regular blanket.
--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Tom Gardner wrote in news:Z9iPF.183900 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx18.am:

Inductive charge loops in every car and at points along every road.

Just like I-70 has water barrels and long sandy decell tracks for the overheating cars and runaway trucks.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

te:

it?

out whether there should be EV here, all their taxis and buses are already running on electricity. And they don't need ugly power lines running all a round the city like San Francisco either. We, in the U.S. are falling behi nd in the EV race.

hen. That will ultimately be a bigger market than here in the US.

y myself.

rator

low.

ng

ic

e uses 4kW

p, I

hes

ng

l 24KWh battery can run it for 240 hours, or 10 days. It's probably longer than running the alternator on ICE.

ed seats. That would work pretty good with a regular blanket.

Yes, they do. Must have for emergency. Heated seat probably draws around the same power. Both of them together would be perfect.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee