Food

Good food day. Pastry and a huge bowl of latte at La Patisserie.

Lunch: beef short ribs and gravy over grits. I've been eating grits all my life. It used to be po' folks' food, what people ate when they couldn't afford anything else. Now fancy restaurants around here are serving grits, but they mostly get it wrong.

Snack: King Island Seal Bay aussie triple-cream brie, very nice. (It's from cows.)

Turkey meatballs next.

I've been trying to keep my weight down, but age has a double-whammy: one's metabolism slows down, so you need less food. And, as you get older, food tastes so much better. Not to mention that clicking a mouse all day isn't very aerobic.

John

Standing rib roast of beef, Yorkshire pudding, roasted potatoes, roasted broccoli and cauliflower with garlic and pinon nuts, rhubarb-strawberry pie and ice cream, Louis Martini Cabernet (one of the great bargains in wine).

(A product announcement celebration.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I agree about the age issue and metabolism and learning to cope with it. It takes some getting used to. I imagine one day I'll be stuck with one half a grapefruit and a small cup of coffee for the entire day, at some point in my life.

But I am roughly your age, John. I run a 5k every single day now. When taking it easy, doing it in 35 minutes. Pushing myself for a little sweat, I'll do it in 30. (Athletic kids slaughter me and do it in 15-18, but not every day like I do.) I've lost 70 pounds in less than six months. And I didn't change my eating habits.

I admit I don't eat the above kind of meal you cite very often, if ever, anymore. You are eating like you are 30 years old.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

70 lbs! Good going. I just managed to get below 160, by the clever stragem of resetting the scale's zero.

Just, literally, a third as much. I go to lunch with the kids, and they eat all their food; I take my left-overs to go and get one or two more lunches from that.

I do swing a 10-pound hand weight while I'm in front of my computer, and I do 50 or 60 half-kneebends about 10 or so times a day, to keep my legs in shape for skiing. I hate running!

We did drink beer and eat meatballs for the last three minutes of the Super Bowl, just to prove that we're Real Americans. I didn't quite figure out which team was which. At a rate of $2e6 per minute, I thought the commercials were incredibly dumb.

John

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In order for grits to be effective, they must be consumed in the proper atmosphere no fancy restaurant can hope to create, no matter how much money is spent or put onto plastic charge cards with amazing credit limits.

Take our world famous Bowen Island Restaurant, near Folly Beach, SC (Charleston area), for instance.

As you can easily see from their cheap webpages, if grits are consumed in this wonderful seafood and graffiti atmosphere of dead black and white TVs, inoperative jukeboxes and completely non-matching, surplus kitchen furniture, the true South comes at you from ever lump you are trying not to leave in your mouth over a fraction of a second.

As noone on Bowen's Island gets out of bed, except the oystermen and shrimpers, before noon, the breakfast specials of shrimp and grits or fish and grits are mismarked, on purpose, as "special dishes" for the Yankee tourists who stumble upon our hidden (poor signage since 1959) treasure. Noone dares ask why they're not "open for breakfast" since an unfortunate incident involving keel hauling under a twin screw shrimp boat back in the 1970's resulting in a "missing person" report, which was quietly cancelled. The subject is just not breached in South Carolina. "Too early" is the terse answer.

Y'all boys don't get too nosey and come have some of the finest steamed oysters on the planet, served just like your fancy restaurant by a redneck with a shovel, dumping them, unceremoniously with a grunt, on your....well, it WAS a table when the thrift shop sold it to them in

1977.

If you kin find a tiny space....don't forget to add your sig to the list of international patrons on almost every flat surface a magic marker can write on. Mine is there in 3 places over 30 years.....(c;]

Gotta go! Another shovel full and some more Bud for us. I'll diet tomorrow....or next year. He even brought me some raw oysters I love!

Fancy restaurants my ass...............

PS - don't show up past 8:30PM and expect to be loved. They close at 10, but you have to have time to eat all this. Very practical people.....

Reply to
Fred

There's a lot of really good food in San Francisco, but nobody here can do southern food or bbq worth a damn. You can only get a fried oyster sandwich in a wet dream here.

Nepalese? Greek? Eritrean? Salvadorian goat stew? Paella? Vietnamese? Portugese crab feeds? No problem.

John

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How do you people survive? Someone must have you on a leash to force you to live like that!

1 - Go down dock and put some chicken guts into blue crab traps.

2 - Kick traps into 15' of water off end of dock.

3 - Drink beer for 2-3 hours while traps "cook".

4 - Light gas burner under crab pot before you stagger down dock and retrieve traps. Pick the biggest blue crabs and toss 'em in your big bucket. Dump the little guys back and feed them the chicken guts to make them grow and remember where the BEST feeding dock in 3 miles is located.

5 - Stagger back up dock with heavy load of Blues to where the big pot is boiling away over the gas burner you lit before going down dock.

6 - Dump crabs, seasoning, salt into pot. Tell yourself they really can't feel being boiled alive.

7 - Drink more beer to relieve guilt complex of boiling crabs alive.

8 - Call neighbors because you overestimated crab consumption by 3000%. Note there's no problem getting neighbors to bring "dish to pass" if you have fresh blue crab fumes wafting over neighborhood. Better fold out the BIG flea market tables so noone has to put their dish on the ground. Ask neighbors if they have any more beer as yours is almost out. Cases of beer show up that must be consumed. Don't forget to fill all 12 big coolers with ice from the ice machine in the shed.

9 - Feeds 300, stuffed with Crabs, salads, macaroni dishes, hoppin' John, 28 different wines, 14 different beers, and a variety of family specialty dishes from all across the South.....

Everyone is too stuffed to eat more and there's enough food to feed the

300 until a week from Tuesday.

San Francisco? How silly! Hell, they don't even talk to their neighbors!

Y'all drop in. Some of this stuff is gonna spoil! Bring more beer. We're out.

Reply to
Fred

There's an easier way to lose weight, but it isn't be be recommeded. Almost exactly a year ago I weighed 163 pounds - a BMI of 23.8, which is towards the top end of the recommended range.

Then I got a new aortic valve, and lost quite a bit of weight. I'm now trimmed down to 150 pounds - giving me a BMI of 22, which my medico younger brother assures me guarnatees that I won't get type 2 diabetes. Strength and fitness have both taken a hit, but I'm back to playing field hockey, and will probably be playing in game tonight as a goal-keeper, and they do seem to be coming back.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

We do. Steve, the gay guy next door, lets me use his chain saw. Robin, the black lady across the street, knocks on our door whenever she needs a drink, which, given her kids, is fairly often. I made the expensive mistake of introducing her to Ron Zacapa 23. Tony, the architect, uses our ski cabin. Dave, the Irish guy at the end of the block, puts drywall screws in my tires if I part in front of his house.

The dungeness crabs here are really good. One crab and some bread will make a meal for Mo and me, and there's enough left to pick for crabcakes.

We can get Zatarains here, crabcake mix and shrimp boil and fish fry. I used to know old man Zatarain, who was a nice but loony old coot. He built an elaborate religious grotto, statues and shrines and fountains and such, on the ground floor of his house in uptown New Orleans, and we hung out there sometimes as kids.

We don't get redfish, but catfish and tilapia work with the Paul Prudhomme stuff.

And we get to eat stuff you've probably never heard of. And wouldn't eat if you did.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/R1.JPG

John

Staint Andre's is my favorite Brie, in the US.

It was Dad's boiled diner last night. Polish sausage and potatoes are simmered for ~30 minutes, then carrots, peas and some sauerkraut. Cook ~15 more minutes, dump into one big pot and place in center of table. You scoop out what you like, add butter and Walt's mustard. We had this with a Sothern Tier Imperial Chocolate Stout.

Darn we make some nice beer now!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

you must train and move your body. If you gain muscles, you will need more food and it will be easier to keep your weight and even loose some weight. If somethings tastes good, it is not necessary to eat a large portion of it, the taste is the same for a small portion.

Of course you have to use your own muscles to move your body, driving a car has no effect to your weight.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

if you hate running, ride a bicycle or go swimming. If you do skiing, dont use a ski lift, use your own muscles to go up the hill or mountain. Or do cross country skiing instead. The hand weight or the kneebends don't burn much energy, you need a constant exercise for half an hour at least and three times a week.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Sorry, I'm a speed freak. I want to go as fast as I can, as often as I can. That's pretty aerobic.

I know. But it's so boring.

John

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

you can do all that using cross country ski too.

But you should do something during the whole year, not only for one or two weeks in winter holiday. You need something to do every week in the whole year.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

if you want to loose weight, don't use a chain saw with a motor, use a hand saw and your own muscles. Try to avoid using a motor whenever it is possible to use your own muscles instead. If you had to go up to the seventh floor, use the staircase but not the lift. For small distances, always use your legs instead of your car.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

John Larkin thinks that sucking his thumb is exercise :-) ...Jim Thompson

There are times when a chainsaw is just what you need.

I do. I avoid elevators and always use the ground floor bathroom; my office is on the 3rd. And we walk a lot, like down the hill to shop or eat, a couple of hundred vertical feet. Practically none of San Francisco is flat. Engineering is too sedentary, and I believe that you think better if you keep your body active and in shape.

John

There was a large, weekend long Greek festival about a mile from here. They were breaking it down last night when I passed the site.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There are places you cant safely use a handsaw, and a chainsaw barely works.

Can you carry a ton of gravel on foot?

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I used to spend 8 to 12 hours a day on my feet, every day. Now the joints are shot, and I have a constant battle with swelling.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell