Creative X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 soundblaster drivers for MS-DOS 6.22 ?

Hello,

(See last line for my question in case you want to skip my story so far :))

I am a little into "retro mode" right now. Copieing files from Pentium 166 to IOMEGA ZIPDRIVE, HAHA ! =D Via parallel port, it's going to take 40 mi nutes to copy 94 MB lol (under windows 98, so it was easy to multi select f olders).

(I kinda wanna secure my old turbo pascal vga work in case I regret it and it goes lost and blablabla and might be usefull some day ;) :) first thing I copied was scroll.pas for x-mode which was interesting)

It was actually quite cool to get this zipdrive working again, find another zipdisk (I have 5 of em) and one of them contain a whole bunch of stuff fo r watcom and vga programming and even xmode and ymode, so that is an intere sting bonus.

WOW as I type this the zipdrive is making a horrible clicking nice... ok it seems it got a little stuck, was scared there for a moment that it was the click of death lol... I used the disk with most room, this is 100 MB model . Don't think this disk was damaged but I might be wrong, so far so good.

I also found a copy of UFO, enemy unknown. I am dieing to play it on my new er computer via ms-dos and try it out on receiver or so, can't really conne ct pentium 166 to receiver cause it's too far away, I could get some old sp eakers, but they probably won't sound as good.

And I wanna boot my DreamPC into ms-dos 6.22 cause I always kinda wanted to do that. So maybe later I will create a partition for ms-dos 6.22, have to look up with that largest partition is that ms-dos supports and which file system format it should be, probably fat16 ? though maybe fat32 can also w ork with ms-dos 6.22 not sure ?!

I also want to try and boot the dreampc from the iomega zipdrive just to se e if that is possible. I am kinda into discovering functionality that I nev er used.

So this will also be an interesting test to see if my dreampc's bios can bo ot into zipdrives via parallel port ! ;)

I might also start tinkering with parallel port setup to see if bandwidth t o zipdrive can be increased, so far it's not so bad for ms-dos it's probabl y faster than floppy disk, would be funny to do a ATTO diskbenchmark on it to see how fast it truely is...

Cool thing is windows 98 supports it after boot, I guess I already installe d drivers back then.

Anyway what I want to do is:

I want to load some kind of ms-dos drivers for Creative X-Fi Elite Pro soun dblaster and see how this soundblaster sounds like under ms-dos.

I already checked folders and creative labs site but didn't find any specif ic ms-dos sound drivers.

Failing this I could move P166 close to receiver and use sblive soundblaste r instead... it's only 5.1 surround sound but will probably be sufficient.

But I would also like to give the Creative X-Fi Elite Pro soundblaster a tr y to see how it sounds like.

Maybe in far future I program it and try to use it's x-ram... I have never done that and don't know what it is or how to use it, but I kinda wanna try that as well.

Finally there is the possibility of windows xp paritition on usb drive and listen to windows xp audio stack and battlefield 2 x-ram ultra sound pack t o compare sound quality to windows 7 x64 ultimate.

This is also somewhat I want to do out of curiosity.

And maybe I want to listen to dune 2 on my x-fi elite pro soundblaster.

I could try some generic sb audio sounddrivers or the once ment for sblive, maybe that would work.

But I was wondering if anybody ever tried to get x-fi elite pro soundblaste r working under ms-dos ?!?

I thought I did this but I am probably thinking of sblive drivers on sblive soundcard on windows 98 ;) and later ms-dos.

Any recommendations how to get X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 soundblaster working unde r ms-dos 6.22 ?

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

Another possibility to get sound working in ms-dos 6.22 on my DreamPC would to try and use realtek audio chip on motherboard and perhaps realtrek drivers for ms-dos, not sure if they exist.

So lot's of things try, sblive drivers maybe some of them will work with x-fi soundcard, maybe some kind of backwards compatibility exists there, maybe not.

I already checked some sites, I fear no true ms-dos drivers exist for x-fi elite pro soundblaster... hmmm... or they might have been included with windows xp drivers not sure.

The realtek is realtek audio ac97, so that might also suffice to get sound under ms-dos...

However I think I will need special cables to connect it to the receiver, not sure.

Don't think I have those, but might buy em...

Or maybe even dos drivers for GT 1030 to use it's hdmi port but then I would have no vga/monitor lol.

Now I wonder if HDMI can be used under ms-dos... hmmm...

Seems like it would be easiest to just use pentium 166 and move it a bit...

But would be cool if old dreampc can also do it ;)

Bye for now, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

I could also "fall back" to the 80486 and use "true" ms-dos based audio cards.

or

go

"back up" to pentium 3... it also has some kind of sound card... forgot which one it was... hmmm

Bye for now, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

However the 80486 has windows 95 installed haha... but I can probably boot it from floppy disk/ms dos and work from iomega zipdrive that be cool :)

Bye for now, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000