OT: Acrobat problem

I created an Acrobat document, and when i look at it withAcrobat, the first thing i get is this message "The font 'ULZQWS+Symbol' contains bad /Flags". 1) What does this exactly mean, 2) What is the cause, 3) how do i find the source, 4) given all of that, can it be fixed?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Don't use Adobe junk.

Use CutePDF to make PDFs, Foxit to view them.

John

Agreed; Bloatware.

I've found that PDFCreator is more versatile (supports more applications). I don't like Foxit (Adware) but don't have a better solution.

Reply to
krw

Cute PDF is a good thing.

Foxit sucks.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Might want to try Tracker Software's PDF-XChange free viewer.

I've been using it as my standard viewer for quite a while now. Works pretty well and their tech support is responsive (had a weird Type 1 font issue a while back).

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I run an older Foxit that doesn't have any adware or junk. It works fine, brutally fast, except for pdf's that have forms, which are rare in my world. Adobe doesn't do forms very well anyhow.

Sometimes Foxit warns me about a character set or font problem, but then it just works. It also sometimes tells me that a PDF is protected and can't be saved, then it goes ahead and saves what is apparently an exact equivalent.

What do you prefer as a viewer? Aren't they all ghostscript inside?

John

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Reply to
krw

I recently moved form Cutepdf to primopdf. In some documents Cutepdf got the font sizes wrong (IIRC when printing from Visio).

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Sumatra PDF viewer. GPL. robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Really bad, seems like their reader is a crippled editor, rather than a fast tight reader.

I'm using SumatraPDF reader from:

Fast, but it doesn't mark / copy text :( I didn't like Foxit turning the adverts back on each time one loads a document.

A little quirky to setup, but it lasted here much longer than Foxit.

(I'm using Win7 x64).

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I downloaded PDF-XChange, as Rich suggested. The test PDFs I looked at (schematics tend to be pretty good tests) looked pretty good. I'll give this a try for a while. If I find something it doesn't do, maybe I'll try Sumatra.

Reply to
krw

I rarely create PDFs, was happy with OpenOffice last time I made a PDF.

Just installed PDF-Xchange Viewer, very nice, customisable too, I like it, after a few minutes setting it up to show what I'm used to.

Plus, it's got tabbed viewing for multiple documents, is native Win7 x64 with multi-threading, one of the few applications that can actually use more of the quad CPU I usually see running no more than 25% :)

Very good first impression, see how it handles missing Asian fonts or whatever that the other viewers stumble on. I stopped using Foxit after an update left it unable to render about half the documents in my download folder.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I just switched from Sumatra to pdf-xchange ;) Looks netter so far. Sumatra is faster 'cos it strips features, stripped too many features?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

he

Uh... you do realize Adobe invented PDF circa 1993, right. So, if you're enamored with PDF's, you have them to thank for it, not persecute them.

Even better - it's an open standard, which (I submit) allows companies & programmers to implement non-standard "features", which other PDF readers and writers may not understand. Maybe if folks didn't tinker with it so much, including porting to mobile phones and adding java support for forms, etc..., maybe overall it would work better. (?)

I'm not here to sing Adobe's praises. (Illustrator-10 is and was a complete piece of shit, for example). But if you can live with the Adobe Acrobat 5 feature set -- there is nothing better out there, in my opinion.

That said, does anyone know a "drag and drop" type PDF editor that will allow you to assemble a new PDF by taking individual pages out of several other PDF documents? (Project my brother is working on -- and he's not what you might call an expert computer user.) I gave him Acrobat 5, and it's extract - delete - replace page functions will get the job done, but it sure is time consuming. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an easier way to do -- I just don't know what it is.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

The Tracker Software guys have a utility in their commercial "PDF Tools" offering that mostly does that, insofar as you can drop the input files in to a list and then hit a "..." button to choose what page range to include in the output file.

But I'd give the open source tool "PDF Split and Merge" a try first.

I still use a very early release of this so I'm not entirely sure how well the up-to-date version fits for a "not what you might call an expert computer user" but it is free ...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

There's a demo version of a commercial program touted in one of the comments below this useful article. I haven't tried it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It's basically a hack of PostScript. And how am I persecuting them? Everybody knows that their reader is slow, buggy bloatware.

Adobe Reader 8 is 107 Mbytes of files. Foxit is 1.6.

If you get used to using Adobe to make PDFs, you'll think that CutePDF is broken. It's so fast, you think it's not working. It is.

John

Trivial in TeX:

-=-=-

\usepackage{pdfpages}

\begin{document}

...body...

\includepdf[landscape, turn=false]{some_landscape_page.pdf}

\includepdf{one_page.pdf}

\includepdf[pages=-]{multipage.pdf}

...etc...

\end{document}

-=-=-

More features in pdfpages' documentation.

If it's that tedious, it might be worthwhile to install MiKTeX or a similar distribution, and write a script to do that ^^ automatically. pdflatex is easy to run from the command line, too.

Tim

[...]

Tim Williams

Present versions of CutePDF 1) AFAIK does not work in Win98SE, 2) uses bloatware of .NET so what the heck is "cute" about it. So..any help?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Will look into PDFCreator; thanks.

Reply to