square bullets

I was typing a datasheet in Word, and it decided at some point to change all my "features" bullets from OK round things to ugly square things. And it now refuses to change them back. And now this 2-page document likes to lock up and freeze Word now and then.

To Microsoft, Bill Gates, and the entire Word team: you code crap.

John

Are you just discovering that?

Has anyone installed Win2K over XP... this new XP machine is pure crap.

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, but it's done with proper software 'methodologies'. Maybe try saving as RTF and re-opening.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

John, I thought that you knew better than to tamper with imperfection? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Try Open Office or Papyrus.

Have you an install disk for W2K? If so, get DFSee and ZTree

Use ZTree to back up all your data and apps then re-format the partition (drive?) with DFSee.

I use eCS-OS/2 almost exclusively but I occasionally need to use 'doze. I have W2K on a partition on this box. It's not too awful, better than XP.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I often write in bare naked HTML.

It works.

Tim

Tim Williams

You need to select that whole bulleted thing and change it to the right "level" in that damned menu box.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

One other thing is that "auto" anything in that kluge is the kiss of death- turn all things "auto" off. All things Microsoft are the biggest pos's.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

My XP isn't too bad. Mandatory reboots are at least a week apart (unlike 98, daily at best) and boot time is 40 seconds (unlike 2K, which runs to many minutes.) As garbage goes, it's usable.

XP does run a mighty fine DOS box.

John

OOPs, very appropriate.

Yeah, maybe I could do that, then cut/paste the graphics. What a pain.

If I turn off the bullets in the features list of the damaged doc (it lets me do that!) and cut/paste the text list into another document, the bullet problem still follows the list! How did they manage that?

John

Microsoft knows what you want better than you do ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Exactly. A $150 upgrade of Office every year or two, forever. I'm so po'd at the bugs, I fork up the cash. And they load a new set of bugs to make sure the cycle continues.

You can actually pay Microsoft to attend seminars on how to write robust code.

John

Works for me.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I bought a Mac-mini about a year ago. I reboot once a week or so, but only because I've been traumatized by an abusive long-term relationship with Windows. Anyway, the separation is almost complete now and I'm starting to feel that computing could actually be fun again - I'm learning to program the thing just for the hell of it. And the OS is amazing - it's goddamn UNIX! How is it that an OS that was designed 35+ years ago is still relevant today? Hats off to Ritchie, Thompson, Kernighan, and of course Jobs too. Now I'm going to buy an Apple notebook.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
jalegris

See if this fits your problem ( found on a group)

Dear friends,

I need additional help - Somehow my default word document settings are corrupted. I followed Suzanne Barnhill's recommendation to restart Word in order to get the Normal.dot file reset, however, I still have some problems. Most notably, the default Bullets and Numbering dialog box shows some wierd bullets - I see a clover and a Greek theta, and a Greek lowercase omega and some other characters instead of nice round or square bullets.

The problem isn't that I couldn't just save a new Normal Template for my personal use, but that documents that I receive from others have their bullet styles reset. For example, in a document that I know prints correctly (with round bullets) shows up on my screen with clover-bullets. Yikes!

Your help is much appreciated. grace

----- Dayo Mitchell wrote: -----

Sounds like he accidentally formatted the text in your Normal doc as Hidden, the ¶ on the toolbar controls the paragraph symbol, etc, and also Hidden text. You can change Tools | Options, Print to print Hidden Text, that may have been your temporary fix.

However, to fix it entirely, this page will let you get your new blank documents back to normal.

If not try these sites for info,

Mike It's more fun to use the computer than to try to figure out how to use the computer!

Reply to
amdx

"square bullets"

No need for rifling grooves but they can't be very aerodynamic.

That's what I was thinking as I opened the message.

Reply to
xray

The application I have in mind would be very short range. Grrrrr.

Turns out the only way I could get rid of the square bullets/lockup mess was to export the doc as a text file, open a new blank document, and cut my text using Notepad and then paste into the new Word doc. Any other way carries the damage into the new document. Hell, it would be easier to just retype it all, like in the days of typewriters and carbon paper.

And did you know that, if text won't go high enough on a page, you have to move the page borders? And the page border controls aren't in the format/borders menu, they're in the File menu! And they're usually hidden, to make things more fun.

Bill makes a big deal out of humanitarian donations. He hasn't atoned for 1% of the damage he has done to the world.

John

Paste into notepad as intermediate step to remove all text formatting. Simply using ctrl+c than ctrl+v just carries all the crap along.

This is particularly usefull when copy-pasting text from websites. Word will try to pick-up website formatting and as everyone knows Word is just terrible with html.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep

Yes, I've fixed peoples "this makes Word crash" documents by importing them and then exporting them. There may be some small change in the formating but that is all.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , John Larkin wrote: [....]

No it doesn't. It has a bug in how it does the environment variables. They don't allocate any room for new ones and you can't use a:

command /e:10000 /csome.bat

to get around the bug.