ON to acquire Fairchild

ON to acquire Fairchild...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"ON estimates the acquisition of Fairchild would result in $150 million in annual synergies (a buzzword for cost savings) eighteen months after the closing of the deal. Most of the savings will be from reduction in the number of employees. ON has 24,500 employees with most U.S. employees located in Phoenix, Arizona. Fairchild has 6,600 employees with U.S. employees primarily in San Jose, California and South Portland, Maine. Since ON is the acquiring company, most of the employee cuts should be on the Fairchild side. ON probably prefers to focus employment in low cost Arizona versus high cost California and relatively remote Maine."

This is going to hurt. I just had a chat with a long time high-tech headhunter friend. "Real slow and getting slower" barely describes the situation in New England.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

It's interesting that the penny-a-part gumdrop makers seem to be doing well. Maybe better than the giants that spun them out.

Sounds excellent- for shareholders, probably nobody else.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

There're very good reasons for that. The NE has no redeeming value. High taxes. Big government regulation. High energy costs. IOW, Kalifornia with crap weather.

Reply to
krw

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 10:38:29 -0500, mixed nuts Gave us:

So, it is a Fiorinaism.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's been slow since the beginning of 2015, all the reps are just beginning to realize it.

Martin Riddle

The trade mags are very thin also.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Back in the original old Fairchild daze, there was a rumor going around that Honeywell was going to buy/merge with Fairchild. The new company name was to be FairWell HoneyChile..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I thought the trade mags have gone away? I used to get EETimes with 100 pages which eventually dropped to a couple dozen before they stopped sending it. I watched EDN drop to a few pages of advertising and some links to their web pages. I'm not sure if they stopped printing it or if they just quit sending it to me. I think all the trade mags started pushing hard to read them online so they could save the cost of printing. I used to read them when I was on the throne or in a restaurant when I had down time. Not so easy to read a computer screen in those situations.

--

Rick
Reply to

There used to be a Fairchild in Gaithersburg near here which had the aura of being a high tech company before anyone used the term "high tech". I think it was DOD related. Their "campus" is now a bunch of other stuff. Looks like they were bought by Orbital back in the 90's.

I remember interviewing there once. I was escorted by a secretary between buildings and she spoke as if Fairchild was the world's best place to work... no she spoke like it was the *only* place to work.

I think during WWII there was a Fairchild airplane factory in Hagerstown near here. I understand Fairchild started all sorts of successful businesses and they were all called "Fairchild". Heck, Fairchild Controls is just around the corner.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 23:46:13 -0500, rickman Gave us:

snip

Get a tablet.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 00:04:34 -0500, rickman Gave us:

Your lack of knowledge about them just isn't fair, child.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Go to your room and think about what you have done.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

25K employees $3B revenue, buying 6K employees $1.5B revenue. Who gets chopped? - the employees with the higher percap revenue.... because it's cheaper to employ people in Arizona?

Can't be that simple. Both companies have extensive R&D and fab off-shore.

RL

Reply to
legg

Smart phone.

Reply to
krw

Move the top 10% and chop everyone else.

Reply to
krw

I'm sure it's not. The rule of thumb I used to use was for costs to be $100k per employee. By that crude metric ON would barely be making profit while Fairchild would be in great shape.

--

Rick
Reply to

That's almost as bad as the joke my 85 year-old grandmother once made: Grocery stores Stop & Shop and A & P are going to merge... the new store will be called "Stop & P" ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I've done chip designs for both divisions of Fairchild (SJ & Portland) AND for ON Semi. I'd rate Fairchild's engineers wa-a-a-ay above ON Semi's... though I must say that the comparison dates to 15 years ago. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature