Hack Telephone to add Amplified Headset

I'd like to take an old landline telephone and hack it to an analog headset, but add amplification on the earpiece side.

Strange, but I can't even find a schematic of a telephone patch.

Anyone with ideas, schematics, etc?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Jim-

Back before Cell Phones, the Phone Patch was quite popular among Ham Radio operators. One you could build yourself was the Heathkit HD-15. Perhaps you can find help in the Heathkit manual:

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

neheadset.gif

?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Good link! Thanks, Fred!

Which brings to mind, I seem to recall a way to make the hybrid function without a transformer, using OpAmps ?? ...Jim Thompson

What model antique phone? You can get amplified handsets online for model 500, 2500, etc such as: The colors usually match well with the Western Electric phones but you're on your own with Stromberg-Carlson and other oddities.

Use image search instead:

Antique BlueGoof handset for your cell phone: Buy one while they're still cool to own and use.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thanks, Lasse! Gives me some starting-point ideas. ...Jim Thompson

Yes, Theres a circuit in the National OpAmp Appnote. I used that to make a hybrid to use a modem on a office phone back in the day. Worked good at 28kbaud.

Martin Riddle

Link? ...Jim Thompson

I'm not into "cool" ;-)

I just want to hear (*) AND use a headset... just did a 3.5 hour conference call on Thursday... got quite tiring holding a phone to my ear :-(

(*) Careful guys... too much sex makes you go deaf >:-} ...Jim Thompson

They even have one for concrete workers.

Reply to
amdx

Here is my copy of the NatSemi app note:

Also this phis page:

piglet

Reply to
piglet

It's not in AN-31, I forget where it is. I found a hardcopy of AN397 Optimun Hybrid Design. Theres a circuit in with a 600ohm transformer. Some stuff here

I'll need to scan AN-397 and send it to you.

Martin Riddle

Found it here

Martin Riddle

Yep thats the one.

Martin Riddle

The old 500 telephones were tapped by putting an induction coil, on a suction cup, next to the hybrid transformer.

Nowadays, just get a speakerphone, or (for headset options) a Bluetooth speakerphone

Reply to
whit3rd

Yeah, I saw that. More like for applying texturing to drywall. However, things are not as they seem:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

They all have junky sound.

I'm going to build a lab quality interface ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Probably true. Search the internet for a definition of "cool" and you'll find multiple contradictory definitions and almost no tests. That's rather odd because we have litmus tests for just about everything, except "cool". Ok, so here's my test customized for your environment. I assume you have an available supply of pre-teen grand kids or grand grand kids. Buy one of those Bluetooth cordless handsets and use it to make or answer a phone call while the kids are watching. When they see it, I will wager that they will utter something like cool, wow, or simply drop their jaw in amazement. If they don't do this, tell me the amount you spent and I'll mail you a check for about $20 or whatever it costs.

However, there's a problem. It's not you that the kids think is cool. It's the handset. The theory is that by loading yourself down with "cool" gadgets, you somehow inherit their aura and magically become "cool" yourself. It works but has a big downside. Most "cool" activities are self destructive. Wearing sunglasses indoors is cool, until you walk into something you didn't see. Smoking cigarettes is cool, if you don't mind dying prematurely. Wearing Dr Dre Beats headphones while walking down the street are cool until can't hear the horn of the car that just ran over you. Owning an Apple product is cool if you don't mind paying double and recharging your coolness every 2-3 year with the latest model. Lots of other examples if you want more. So yes, you're not into "cool" but there are plenty of others out there with large disposable incomes and who's lives revolve around looking cool, that willing pay the price of looking cool. A simple Bluetooth handset will not do the trick for you, but added to a collection of fashionable purchases, it will help. (Hybrid car, solar power, indoor sunglasses, latest smartphone, house in a fashionable neighborhood, membership in the right clubs, etc).

My background is mostly in the marine radio business. It's difficult to imagine that a marine radio might be considered "cool". Yet, the topic floated to the surface during a meeting over packaging. The radio might not be considered itself cool, but the typical pleasure boat certainly qualifies as cool. Many boats rarely leave the marina and simply provide a place for the owner to entertain his friends. They're there because owning a boat is considered cool (in some circles). So, it was decided that the radio design should not in any way detract from the "coolness" of the boat. I'm not sure we actually succeeded, but at least we tried.

3.5 hrs holding a Bluetooth handset isn't going to work. You'll have telephone elbow in no time. I think a common wireless phone headset or in the ear Bluetooth headset would be best. Or, you can try a speakerphone. Anything with an amplifier inside is going to be louder than an antique phone. Unfortunately, looking like a telephone receptionist is not going to make you look cool in the eyes of your grand kids.

Now you know what they mean by "hands free".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

[snip]

All of them (8 grandkids, 2 great-grandkids) have accepted "Opa" for being just a little bit different than most grandfathers ;-)

I have no problem with wired.

The problem I've run into is that most amplified/speaker-phones aren't loud enough and/or have horrible distortion.

With earphones, on Skype, I hear just ducky... I want the same on a landline call.

Which brings up a question... is there a way to pipe a landline thru the PC and use the USB headset attached thereto? ...Jim Thompson