Another reason not to like DAB

This is an interesting hack attack using DAB to compromise the control systems of cars crazy enough to have insecure infotainment systems and critical control of brakes and steering on the same network.

It was science fiction not that long ago. Patches are available.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Well, Jeeps are horrendous crap.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Is DAB actually used in any part of the world ? Finland abonded DAB in 2005 (and later DVB-H).

Is there really some need for such outdated technologies in 2015 ?

Reply to
upsidedown

Pained expression Yes - in the UK :(

Not only that but at a pathetic bitrate as well. Never mind the quality feel the width broadcasting.

Article from 2010 predicting switchoff of FM about now.

No justification whatsoever apart from institutional inertia and the fact that the politicians and suits making the decisions have no clue.

They have also managed to break Radio3 320k AAC internet radio too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Cheap-ass requires it >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Hey, I own a Jeep!, I've had very good luck with it!

Of course, in the 4 years I have owned it, I've only put 23k miles on it! :)

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

The Brat has a Rubicon. It's fabulous to drive in snow; you just blast over everything. But it's had a zillion recalls; the removable top isn't removable, because the electrical connectors won't unmate, and the fasteners don't line up, and half of them are frozen galled. She opened the door and the fake-leather open-limit strap snapped, so the door swung 180 degrees and dented the hood. It's basically impossible for normal humans to get into or out of the back seat, unless you take the top off, which you can't.

Incredible crap.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Oh. They say it will have less problems if you don't park it that way. :)

Reply to
John S

I think that was someone trying to get the top off.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Like off a beer can? Jeeze, John, you're a trip. Hilarious! :D

Reply to
John S

That last one, is one recall I don't think Jeep will honor...

Didn't you teach her how to park?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

The pics were taken in the old transcontinental railroad tunnels and on the China Wall. That's a gravity wall, just carefully stacked rocks, no mortar, and it supported trains.

e clampus vitus is the California Historical Drinking Society. Or the California Drinking Historical Society. There is some debate.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The original Jeep Cherokee (not the Grand Cherokee) from circa mid 1990s to early 2000s, with the 4.0L I6, is an absolutely bombproof vehicle. I see them around New England all the time, still going strong with hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock.

Reply to
bitrex

Reply to
John S

That sideways orange Jeep is not The Brat's Jeep. She values her LadyJeep too much to take it on the Rubicon Trail. I can't imagine how they got that one out; helicopter?

There is a fraternity of lunatics who drive on the trail.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It does indicate that manufacturers are incapable of creating secure software, and that the only way they'll air-gap critical systems is if the regulators require it.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I heard about something similar about three years ago or so but it came thr ough the GPS or Onstar type system.

On a car with electric steering it can be even more fun. When the stupoid s onabitches wired the blinkers through the ECM (GM did this believe it or no t) they made their bed and now the value of their new cars should go to the toilet and the old car values should go through the roof.

You know, I didn't mind changing the points every once in a while.

Reply to
jurb6006

Yup, I was in a rented Jeep last year going to a trade show with another guy. The windows manager for the control-everything screen (nav/radio/climate controls, etc.) crashed. You could still see half the GPS screen, which was still updating, but all the on-screen buttons disappeared. We were too scared that if we "re-booted", the car might not even start, so we kept driving. But, indeed, a couple minute power-down caused everything to reset, and it was fine.

This was a brand-new rental with something like 3000 miles on it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

We got "upgraded" to a Mustang convertible rental. It was ghastly. The top wouldn't go up and it wouldn't go down, without violent struggles. The instruments were schmaltzy retro, tiny round chrome things, and basically invisible. The turn signal made a fake synthesized 1960's thermal blinker ping-pang noise. Yuk.

If Ford had any sense, they wouldn't allow rental agencies to educate people about how bad these are.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We've been in the new car market for a while, recently. And, do a boatload of research in addition to test drives, etc. Part of that research turns up a surprising number of vehicles that exhibit "spontaneous reboots", "software lockups", etc.

As *anything* that isn't working right can just as easily generate bogus data reports/messages which other "control nodes" would then interpret as "gospel", you have to wonder... if my entertainment system (i.e., something of little actual value in terms of "driving") emits some cruft, will the vehicle do something dangerous?

(e.g., many vehicles can now automatically partially brake, fully brake, reduce engine output, etc. without the driver's intervention OR CONSENT! They do this by responding to conditions sensed and reported by other "modules" in the vehicle. What if one of those modules erroneously -- ignoring hacks -- reports a condition that it is charged with monitoring? Or, one that it is NOT responsible for monitoring?? Like the entertainment system reporting "brake pedal fully depressed"?? Or, "transmission in Park" which happens to cause the car doors to be automatically unlocked)

Reply to
Don Y