Switching a low voltage to a load

Hello,

I want to switch a low voltage to a load. The voltage is 1.2V and it will be powering a .25A load.

At first I though about a pmos transistor, but I do not have any negative rails available on my circuit, and I don't think pulling the gate to ground is a good enough Vgs.

Can anyone recommend a simple way to pass 1.2V to my load with a digitally controlled switch?

Much thanks!

Reply to
Fibo

solid state switch, no relays

Reply to
Fibo

Is the 1.2V supply _all_ that you have? Nothing higher? "Digitally" controlled... what signal level(s)? ...Jim Thompson

What sort of control voltage (and polarity) do you have? Is the entire circuit 1.2 volts?

How about a solid stat relay? digikey lists some that turn on at 1.1 to 1.2 volts... (just enough to turn on a led.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If you don't have a voltage greater than 1.2V for the gate, bite the bullet and make one. You shouldn't need any appreciable current, so a capacitive step-up chip should do. I'd go with a logic-level NMOS running common drain.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I have +3.3V available as my control voltage.

I need to pass/switch +1.2V to my load.

I'm looking at pmos transistors, but I don't think they'll work out for me because I don't have anything lower than ground. Largest Vgs I can supply them is -1.2V

Reply to
Fibo

I found this guy:

Looks like he'll do the job. 150mOhm at -1.2V Vgs, not bad.

Much thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Fibo

I've seen logic-level FETs that go down to a Vgs of 2.4V -- maybe do some looking and see if there are some 2V Vgs N-channel FETs out there?

3.3 would easily double to over 6V, which would give you more Vgs than you need. For that matter, you could make -2.5V fairly easily at low current.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm just using the nmos to switch the pmos, I can switch the nmos no problem with 3.3V. But it's the pmos that worried me cause I could only hold it at -1.2V. since there is 1.2V at it's source.

Reply to
Fibo

I know zero about them, just remember reading an article some time ago. Don't know if they have anything that can do the current you need.

Reply to
mike

why not use an nmos? if you have a 3.3V control switching a 1.2V source, you have >2V Vgs

120mOhm at vgs 1.8V

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

low side / high side switch reasons. I don't want to switch ground.

Reply to
Fibo

Optical coupled MosFet.

YOu can keep the outside from the inside and it only takes no more than 1.2 volts to turn it on at ~8 mA.

As long as the long isn't that high of course :)

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

if you have 3.3V control for a 1.2V source, you can put the nmos on the high side, you get 3.3V-1.2V = 2.1 Vgs

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Absolutely! Much thanks Lasse, I was ignoring nmos. This sounds good to me.

Reply to
Fibo

Yep. Just make sure that the source is connected to the load side so that the body diode doesn't provide a sneak path.

I don't know why some manufacturer doesn't turn out some low voltage power MOS with 0.6um gate spacing (limits VDS operating voltage to

7-8V max) _but_ threshold is ~0.6V. ...Jim Thompson

You're in the right voltage range for the most basic type of blocking oscillator Joule thief - the flyback pulses from that should be sufficient for a bootstrap rail to bias a N-MOSFET.

A logic level MOSFET would probably help - the ones on old PC motherboard fit the bill, Vds can be as low as 20V - 30V is fairly typical, Id ratings of 80A are fairly usual. Datasheets for typical devices may or may not say logic level in so many words - but they're usually in the right ball park.

Reply to
Ian Field

Which is what I was trying to say a long time ago when I said "Common drain".

It should work a charm.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to