New Video: Parametric Oscillations

The whole term is kind of a funny one -- it's bound up in 20th-century science wanting to make all differential equations linear and time invariant (because then you can solve them on paper, before you die of old age).

As for your questions: find three or four college physics professors. Get a couple of pints of beer down each one, then pose your question. Stand back.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

nd

Linear systems theory is so powerful and intuitive that it's worth trading away quite a lot of accuracy to keep it. It can usually be patched up after wards.

Being able to go back and forth between time and frequency domains is one o f the main benefits. One formula contains a lot more knowledge than a huge stack of simulations.

We've managed to breed a whole generation of SPICE monkeys whose engineerin g methods are basically those of the pyramids.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

ROFL. Reminds me of

Christian

Reply to
Christian Gollwitzer

As long as you understand that you're making a linear approximation, so you can do the patching up correctly going back. Lots of guys my age manage to avoid being SPICE monkeys, but still don't understand what they're doing when they're using frequency-domain stuff.

+1!!!

Yes, unfortunately.