New Video: Parametric Oscillations

It's a bit off-topic from the channel, but hopefully fun.

Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Wonderful! Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Thanks! I thought it was shitty.

That's not a comment on your opinion -- I often finish a talk or a book or whatever thinking "gawd, why am I not covered in rotten vegetables?", only to be accosted by people wanting to _thank_ me for my work.

OTOH, I can finish something up, think "hey, this is pretty good!", inflict it on an unsuspecting world, and find out that no, in fact, it was a steaming pile of crap (very powerful! Makes things grow!).

I've decided that I'm not a very good critic of my own work.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Well, i thought that the editing done was implemented very nicely. The resulting "jumps" or "gas" were rather smooth and only a very professional system could improve it, along with multiple time-consuming re-enactments for more accurate body placement and hand-motion merging. In a word, this ain't Hollywood and we are not seasoned or professional actors. WELL DONE!

Reply to
Robert Baer

I read somewhere, on the blog of some YouTube biggie, that if you're doing a "talking head" video then the quality of the sound is far more important than getting the video perfect. I also noticed that quite a few of the "talking head" video channels that I watch will have even more sudden visual jumps than I use, and I just don't notice them unless I concentrate.

Everything is recorded on a Samsung Galaxy S5 cell phone, and edited using kdenlive open-source video software. I'm pretty amazing that I can do so well on stuff that I could get for free, or had lying around.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

Yeah, the few I've done on my own had crap for sound, which did, indeed, make them horrid.

Agreed yours look quite good.

eric.jacobsen

I actually had to discard about 1/3 of a video's worth of footage on this one and re-do it. I had the lapel mic contacting my chin, and even with a smooth shave every time I moved my head the damned thing scratched.

Fortunately I did a spot check that 1/3 of the way in, or I would have had to re-record everything.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Thanks.

Would working a yo-yo be an example of PO? As the yo-yo descends and unwinds, you pull up on the string to speed it up, adding energy.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

The whole term is kind of a funny one -- it's bound up in 20th-century science wanting to make all differential equations linear and time invariant (because then you can solve them on paper, before you die of old age).

As for your questions: find three or four college physics professors. Get a couple of pints of beer down each one, then pose your question. Stand back.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!