Zener noise / oscillations

Zeners all seem to behave: quiet, no oscillation IF run at or near the spec current (usually in the tens of mA). But, if one needs to run them at low currents (say 10uA to 500uA) then _watch_out_! Some brands at certain voltages are extremely noisy and subject to oscillation. The waveforms seen at low currents (2-50uA) look like randumb sawtooth generation, and as the current is increased the amplitude and probability increases (do NOT want to say "frequency" as that gives wrong impression). Then this "converts" to random noise. Eventually, there are "bursts" of NO noise. Then at higher current, noise bursts decrease in "frequency" and amplitude.

That is what i see in general. However, i have found two zeners that, on a curve tracer, one sees little if any noise or spikes mentioned. NOW for the question: How can one test these particular zeners to ensure they do not or will not oscillate?

  • Yes, there are zeners made for low noise and those have a much lower spec current, BUT i cannot afford to have the factory dig the silicon mines, etc much less the high $$.
Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Jul 2012 01:16:24 -0700) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

I do not normally use zeners for reference, just for over voltage protection. For reference you probably want bandgap based chips. There are some very low power reference chips.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'm not so sure about "quiet" but I suppose everything is relative. There's a lot of nice things about a 6.2V zener at the sweet spot current, that are not true for higher voltage zeners, lower voltage zeners, or zeners run away from their sweet spot.

At the low microamps, YOU ARE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE KNEE, you are on the high dynamic impedance side.

And remember that gas regulator tubes make excellent sawtooth oscillators blipping from one side of the knee to the other.

At the microamp range everyone else is just using bandgap refs.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Like zeners, they also make excellent noise generators, usually with the help of a magnetic field.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Bandgap ones are more convenient. But the very best semiconductor references in terms of noise and stability are those based on zeners.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Buried zeners, specifically.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:53:16 +0100) it happened John Devereux wrote in :

At 2-50uA?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Some of my scribbles on the subject:

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There was a nice - and tolerably long - thread on the subject "Zener Diode Oscillation" - here back in 1997. Winfield Hill and the late Tony Williams posted a lot of interesting measurements and some interesting references from the semiconductor physics literature.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Not as far as I know - usually about 5mA and ~6-7V. Like I said, not very convenient.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:12:40 +0100) it happened John Devereux wrote in :

protection.

Yes, I remember those (Intermetal IIRC) had a zener and Ge transistor that used together (zener in emitter) had exactly a zero Tc. Indeed about 5 or 6V, do not remember the exact value. For the rest the Tc is never really flat for zeners AFAIK...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

current,

That is not noise, you have inadvertently built a negative resistance oscillator:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

,

er

What sort of voltage range are you talking about. My limited experience would suggest that at lower voltage (8-16 V) the low current noise is very variable piece to piece.

At higher voltage the low current noise is larger and more consistent

And above 20 (something) Volts there maybe a point in the I-V curve that can lead to oscillations.

Though all of this depends on the power rating of the diode too.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

)

gives

gher current,

es

illator:

Woah, a 4kV zener! You don't use those every day. (at least I don't)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ear

to 500uA)

subject to

ndumb

ude and

mp;quot; as that gives

oise. Then at higher current,

itude.

, one sees

do not or

e oscillator:

review

You might note they extended the observations to the low voltage diodes too= .

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

protection.

I've done bandgaps on CMOS processes... 100uA total operating current. My bag of tricks includes producing other voltages than the standard

1.25V/2.5V... handy when you have a low voltage supply... I have one architecture that goes stable and flat output of +1V, when VCC=1.2V ...Jim Thompson

near

A to 500uA)

d subject to

randumb

itude and

" as that gives
.

noise. Then at higher current,

plitude.

er, one sees

y do not or

nce oscillator:

#preview

oo.

Oh,I don't have access to the whole paper. I was looking at some data sheets (a while back) and zeners in the

25V-30V range looked like they might oscillate at the right current.

(I guess the last thing the OP wants is an oscillator.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You can heat treat zener diodes (by passing a lot of current through them) = for use in saw-tooth oscillator circuits. Obviously if you that you are cau= sing poorly controlled physical changes of the semiconductor properties. Yo= u know a TL431 shunt regulator costs so little these days that you should u= se it in your circuits in preference to a zener diode. It is so much better= and 1960's style voltage regulation is not such a great idea these days.

Reply to
bitterlemon40

Reference? Said nothing about that; app is for voltage regulation but zener pass current must be low.

Reply to
Robert Baer

My app is only for voltage regulation, not reference purposes; zener current to range from 2-500uA. Gotta be cheeeep 1-3 cents.

Reply to
Robert Baer