Unwanted oscillations

I've got a simple circuit that uses a BC337 NPN transistor to switch a DC buzzer on and off.. It's set up as a classic common emitter switch eg The Buzzer is in the collector circuit and the base is driven by a micro via a

1K resistor. The problem is the pesky thing oscillates. I didn't do the PCB layout and I suspect that the cause is some inductance in the emiter trace? Any ideas for a cure?
Reply to
CWatters

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a small 12V Peizo buzzer.

The data sheet is here...

... but it's next to useless - no data on impedence etc.

If I apply a Mk1 finger between base and collector the oscillations become audible - but I'm not sure that means a lot.

Think I'll try decoupling the base first.

Colin

DC

The

collector

Reply to
CWatters

In article , snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net mentioned...

More to the point, do you have a diode across the buzzer coil, cathode to positive? If not, then the peak voltage may exceed the transistors max rating.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###