Need some help, what is percentage US voltages on 115V, 208V WYE, 240V?

For a sauna, that means three elements, one on each phase. Likely this is done to help keep the 3 phase balanced.

The stove almost certainly uses separate phases for the different heating elements. So again, the three phase connection is being done to keep the load more balanced.

So the three phase appliances are because the three phase is installed, not that the three phase is needed for any particular reason? Certainly a 7 kW heater does not require being on 3 phase circuits and cooking appliances work fine on 240 volts.

--

  Rick C.

  ---- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

,

allows both 220v and 240v to be within the standard with no physical change .

.

outlet. The fuse within the plug can be appropriate for the load.

ing for high-power portable devices such as kitchen appliances.

phase input that allows up to 43kW input power in some vehicles. In the cas e of the Tesla there are essentially 3 separate chargers in the car.

I can't say you are wrong about the EU Teslas charging from the 3 phase inp ut at 43 kW, but that would be pretty amazing if they did. The chargers yo u are talking about handle 24 amps each, so 17.2 kW total... at least in th e US version. My car has three of these chargers, but since my car was mad e they dropped back to two units each which still gives 48 amps, plenty of power and more than most connections will support.

While I can't say they are using the same charger boards in the EU, it woul d seem odd for them to do that. Bottom line is I can't find any info on th e max charging rate in Teslas from 3 phase power in the EU. The Tesla site doesn't easily provide that info since I'm not in the EU.

Of course, this has nothing to do with other vehicles.

--

  Rick C.

  ---+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

:

line.

11kW

es in the

e are

ke

ppliances.

only

ase

tural

t, Tesla home car chargers can be wired up with 100 amp service to drive 80 amp charging to some of the older cars. Mine will only accept 72 amps, so no point in more than 90 amps on a single charger but they can be used in parallel on a single 100 amp circuit. We derate our socketed connections t o 80% for continuous loads, not sure exactly why.

t loads. I don't see the need for 3 phase.

of ~30A

Actually, you need four wires. With three phase the neutral is essential f or using 240 volt circuits. In the US we only require two conductors for t he power and a smaller one for protective earth, the neutral is only requir ed if you need 120 volts. I know in the UK the whole protective earth thin g is complicated and allows the use of a system that loses safety if you ru n an extension cord outside. I don't know what the regulations require in the rest of the EU.

I looked into the US requirements extensively for a car charging port. The Tesla HPWC only requires a pair of heavy gauge wires for the power and a p rotective earth.

--

  Rick C.

  --+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

torsdag den 31. oktober 2019 kl. 23.30.02 UTC+1 skrev Rick C:

te:

ll a

is

lt line.

h 11kW

nces in the

ere are

like

appliances.

V-only

phase

ultural

hey

act, Tesla home car chargers can be wired up with 100 amp service to drive

80 amp charging to some of the older cars. Mine will only accept 72 amps, so no point in more than 90 amps on a single charger but they can be used i n parallel on a single 100 amp circuit. We derate our socketed connections to 80% for continuous loads, not sure exactly why.

ent loads. I don't see the need for 3 phase.

e of ~30A

for using 240 volt circuits.

at those power levels you are probably going to wire it delta not wye

for protective earth, the neutral is only required if you need 120 volts.

same with three phase

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

So you don't have situations where you have 240V, with no neutral. That is to say you would always have the option to use the line neutral 120V?

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

he's Canadian but,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Our products are normally rated +10/-15%, for the EU 230V, US 115V

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

There are roughly 15 different outlet types in use in the USA. Maybe more! Some are 240 with neutral and ground, some are 240 with ground but no neutral. I think there is a 120-240 outlet all in one somehow. It's the Wild West.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

rote:

mains voltage

phase), and 240V (120V, 180 degrees phase inverted)

240. I charge my car at level 2 chargers in lots of locations and some 90% of them are 208 volts (give or take) rather than 240. Instead of getting 7 kW charging rate, I usually see 6 or below because of the voltage.

Good info :-)

Commercial, would that be businesses, hotels, or what?

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

Bad design.

  1. Use a stepdown transformer to drive the 120V dust collector.

  1. Use a DPDT switch to turn table on and off. This eliminates the 9V battery and the power lost in the semiconductor switch. Simpler, no need for a heat sink.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

ofcourse and he said so

when you need several 100W that's gets big and expensive

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Your products don't determine the spec in the US.

--

  Rick C.

  --++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

US mains voltage

e phase), and 240V (120V, 180 degrees phase inverted)

n 240. I charge my car at level 2 chargers in lots of locations and some 9

0% of them are 208 volts (give or take) rather than 240. Instead of gettin g 7 kW charging rate, I usually see 6 or below because of the voltage.

Pretty much yes. Hotels, hospital parking deck, retail food store, retirem ent community parking. These are the ones I recall off the top of my head. I'm sure I've seen 240 volt level 2 charging, but I don't recall where th at would have been.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

115V +10/-15% looks close enough to spec

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

US mains voltage

e phase), and 240V (120V, 180 degrees phase inverted)

s to say you would always have the option to use the line neutral 120V?

I don't understand the question. There are connectors that do not include a neutral. One that I know of includes the neutral, but not the protective earth and is no longer used. Was that a dumb idea! A water heater is har d wired with no connector and has no need for a neutral. Likewise the car charging units.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Lol! What part of "specification" says "close enough"?

--

  Rick C.

  -++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

eBay has stepdown transformers at reasonable prices. Here's a 3kW transformer for US $84.97

3000 Watt Voltage Converter Transformer Heavy Duty Step Up/Down 3000W 110/220V US $84.97 shipping : US $6.07 Weight: 15 lbs

Lower power transformers are correspondingly less expensive.

He has maybe several hundred invested in the table saw and dust collector. He can certainly afford a stepdown transformer.

OTOH he plans to run the dust collector on a separate 120V circuit. He could tie the neutrals together so if he loses one, he will still have the other. Then he could get the 120V from one phase of the 240V as per the original, and would not need the stepdown transformer. A single DPST switch would turn everything on and off.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

115V +10/-15% is ~ 98-127

worst case in the spec for 120V is 103.5 - 127.2

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That step down transformer you referenced is typical Chinese junk. Not UL or CSA certified so illegal to run in either the US (UL) and Canada (CSA or ULc).

Really, the plug alone is crap (look at the pins, and observe the clamp), the power cord is probably unrated and the case is probably made of light weight steel or aluminum that will bend or pop open at the first time you drop it more than six inches.

There is a reason that good quality products cost more - they are better built!

I bet they don't high-pot test this unit.

If you want a SAFE step-down or step-up transformer look at something like Hammond:

A Hammond 298GT step-up xformer rated at 1500KVA, weighs around 17 kilo/39 lbs. How much does the Chinese unit weigh? 15 lbs? Can't have much copper in the core. That's going to run rather hot when near its 'rated' output!

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

on,

% allows both 220v and 240v to be within the standard with no physical chan ge.

ge.

n outlet. The fuse within the plug can be appropriate for the load.

iting for high-power portable devices such as kitchen appliances.

3-phase input that allows up to 43kW input power in some vehicles. In the c ase of the Tesla there are essentially 3 separate chargers in the car.

nput at 43 kW, but that would be pretty amazing if they did. The chargers you are talking about handle 24 amps each, so 17.2 kW total... at least in the US version. My car has three of these chargers, but since my car was m ade they dropped back to two units each which still gives 48 amps, plenty o f power and more than most connections will support.

uld seem odd for them to do that. Bottom line is I can't find any info on the max charging rate in Teslas from 3 phase power in the EU. The Tesla si te doesn't easily provide that info since I'm not in the EU.

What's the big deal about charging at 43kw? Tesla super chargers here do s everal times that.

Reply to
Whoey Louie