How to compute base biasing resistor for class C amplifier

Could some electronics guru here please tell me how to compute the base biasing resistor for class C amplifier. From the Vce-Ice- load line graph, the Q point has to be below the horizomtal axis, i.e., Vce < 0.0. All hints, suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
amal banerjee

----------------------

** Mosfet or BJT?

Your is another PITA information free post.

Or is that an exam question ??

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

All the questions you've been posting could be answered by getting a copy of this book:

And you get can even more value out of it by spotting all the errors! :)

Still very instructional, though, seriously.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Just buy Steve Cripps' book and be done with it.

RF Power Amplifiers for Wireless Communications

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

Your bad this time dude, he said BASE biasing.

Reply to
jurb6006

In class C the base bias will be reverse. How much reverse determines the d uty cycle. That determines most of the rest. You are basically pulsing a tu ned circuit, there is not much other reason to use class C. It is the most efficient but there are many things it cannot do.

Reply to
jurb6006

There is a copy of Bowick's book in our office library. Unfortunately, his class C amplifier circuit diagram is peculiar. It works only on LTSpice, not HSpice or Ngspice.

Reply to
amal banerjee

I have PDF copy of his book that I downloaded a few years ago. But like a number of other authors, it suffers from too mucj text the design examples are bare bones and the reader has to a lot of calculations himself to determine the sequence of calculation steps used to arrive at an answer.

Reply to
amal banerjee

duty cycle. That determines most of the rest. You are basically pulsing a tuned circuit, there is not much other reason to use class C. It is the mos t efficient but there are many things it cannot do.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Reply to
amal banerjee

Fuck all that. Hook up your circuit with a bipolar and couple capacitively to the base but with like a 20 meg pot to ground.

When you find your operating point just shut it down, take an ohmmeter to the pot where you set is an use that value.

Yeah, that is cowboy engineering but it works.

Reply to
jurb6006