Need some help, what is percentage US voltages on 115V, 208V WYE, 240V?

Oh, that's the European standard, isn't it? That makes more sense than what we do here, but it's too late to change now. Universal-input PFC power supplies are great.

The British ones, giant cubes with fuses inside, look worse.

Do residences get all three phases? We get 120-N-120, one split phase. We have gas for big heating uses, so don't need so much electricity.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

It is limited by the agreement with the power company. They install a sufficiently rated fuse at the entry. This is stupid, BTW, but it is that way.

4500W is equivalent to two electric kettles. Not exactly our understanding of a heater. :-)

There are devices that consume 10kW or more. Induction stoves with 11kW rating are not uncommon.

Our mains fuses are typically 16A (outlets) and 6A (lighting). There are also bigger, of course, but they are reserved for special places like the kitchen or the heater compartment.

For me it is pretty usual. In return, it is hard to imagine a 120V-only system. Your wires must run red-hot. But somehow you manage to live :-)

10kW+ devices are not uncommon. As said, water heating, AC, agricultural tools, wood saws, welding machines, etc.

Best regrds, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Yes, it is. It used to be 220V in the past, they changed it to 230V (with the asymetric tolerance band, 220*1.1=230*1.06 up to an epsilon, which is good for older devices). The UK went down to 230V from 240V.

I like yours, it is inherently much safer. But it is too late to change.

No John, the British are small compared to that. These are of the size of a Pepsi can, more or less. They are super-robust.

Yes. Newer flats as well.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

and on the smart ones you can swap two phases with a screw driver if a motor runs the wrong way

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What is stupid about that? It is to protect the line coming into the home. We do the same here. Most homes are 200 amps.

Yes, we save on lighting expenses that way. ;-)

You still haven't explained any reason why you would need three phase power in the home. Your 16 amp line at 240 volts is about twice the power of our 15 amp, 120 volt lines we use to power lamps and such.

What do you need with three phase in the home that you can't supply with 240 volts?

You have a welding machine in your home? I have a friend who has a full metal shop in his triple garage including at least one welder. All powered from 240 volts. None three phase.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

In europe there a continuous-flow water heaters with up to 21 kW. They heat "just-intime" without any reservoir

Reply to
PeterSchneider

nothing, but generation and distribution is three phase because it can transfer more power using less copper

I get 3*230V using 3+1 wires, you get 2*120V using 2+1 wires

if he has any big machine tools like a lathe or mill, he most likely have a big noisy rotary phase converter to get three phase

and even for a welder or variable frequency drive three phase is an advantage because rectifying to DC is easier

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Does every lamp and phone charger and electric toothbrush get one of those?

You guys make such a big deal over electricity.

Imagine all those as pepsi cans.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

torsdag den 31. oktober 2019 kl. 18.38.36 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

not, the big red ones are for big three phase power tools and such, it is rated for 3*32A

more normal, plug

or when you only need a few amps and no ground

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

e.

n the

ances.

That would be 90 amps which we can do in the US with 240 volts. In fact, T esla home car chargers can be wired up with 100 amp service to drive 80 amp charging to some of the older cars. Mine will only accept 72 amps, so no point in more than 90 amps on a single charger but they can be used in para llel on a single 100 amp circuit. We derate our socketed connections to 80 % for continuous loads, not sure exactly why.

The po> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote...

That's well above average in the US. Are you getting juice from a nuke pla nt? I see why you have solar.

Have you looked into time of use billing? Here it cuts the cost of a kWh b y a third. Generation is cut in half but distribution is the same.

--

  Rick C.

  +-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

That doesn't explain why bringing 3 phase into the home is common or if there is anything that even uses it?

Nope. It all runs from 240 volts. I think his welder is from the 60s and 70s when he was working as a welder. He doesn't spend money on fancy tools when the ones he has do the job just fine.

--

  Rick C.

  ++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

What's the calculation for wattage on three phase?

--

  Rick C.

  +++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Looks like IEC 309 (now officially IEC 60309) 3x16 A (or 3x32 A)

230/400 V 3P+N+E plug.
Reply to
upsidedown

With the red IEC 309 shown in this thread, you get 11 kW.

In my country house, the electric sauna is 7.5 kW three phase, the electric stove is three phase 2-3 kW. Even in my top floor city apartment, the stove is three phase.

Reply to
upsidedown

3*32A*230V or sqrt(3)*32*400 = ~22kW
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

No, the UK remained at 240v - the asymmetric EU standard of 230+10%/-6% allows both 220v and 240v to be within the standard with no physical change.

I like the UK ones, robust, don't get hot even at 13A, allow 3kW from an outlet. The fuse within the plug can be appropriate for the load.

The US ones are convenient because they are small but they are very limiting for high-power portable devices such as kitchen appliances.

Electric vehicles sold in the EU (such as Rick's Tesla Model X) have a 3-phase input that allows up to 43kW input power in some vehicles. In the case of the Tesla there are essentially 3 separate chargers in the car.

Reply to
keith wright

ine.

kW

in the

are

liances.

ly

ral

Tesla home car chargers can be wired up with 100 amp service to drive 80 a mp charging to some of the older cars. Mine will only accept 72 amps, so n o point in more than 90 amps on a single charger but they can be used in pa rallel on a single 100 amp circuit. We derate our socketed connections to

80% for continuous loads, not sure exactly why.

loads. I don't see the need for 3 phase.

so you need 2 wires capable of 100A to get 24kW, we need 3 wires capable of ~30A

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Even with a simple six pulse rectifier, the ripple is only 4.2 % without any smoothing capacitors :-).

Reply to
upsidedown

if properly balanced:

3 * 32 * 230 for star 3 * 32 * 400 for triangle

My stove runs on 2 phases and can deliver 7 KW for the

2 front plates together. It's better not to leave the kitchen when using that much, and to have the onions etc peeled when starting. (There are bigger ones, but I'm single.)

When we were students, we also had a ham radio linear amplifier that ran on 3 phase. 2 QB5/1750 tubes, 5.5KV @ 1A+. That was not exactly legal, but fun. Statute-barred a long time.

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

At those voltages it is hard to get any big storage capacitors, so using a 6 pulse, three phase rectifier and the anode voltage is smooth enough (4 % ripple).

Reply to
upsidedown