Monitor Question

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 04:23:28 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso" Gave us:

I am sure that at this point, he has staff that looks at "bug reports" unless they are pretty darned serious bugs.

Competitors? Who? Future Features? I'm sure that he has "Idea men" hired and research staff appointed, as well as test "users".

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On 19 Jun 2006 21:42:39 -0700, fpga snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Gave us:

If you had DLd my image the other day, you would see that the HDTV hi res LCD FPD has multiple roles.

I can watch HD DVD films (as well as regular DVDs), I can watch the news... I can watch my off air HDTV channels...

What more can I say? It was worth every penny.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

I think he does charity handouts and minor PR shit now. In fact, now he is retiring permanently to doing the charity stuff (and it is not handing out free copies of windows).

Reply to
The Real Andy

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:40:46 +1000, The Real Andy Gave us:

Ever.

It would be cool to see "lifetime licenses" being given away.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

What multiple monitor video card is recommended?

...Jim Thompson

CRT monitors suck for graphics like schematics (and I'm sure PCB layout, but I've never done it). The perfect geometry of LCDs is worth every penny (and LCDs are coming way down in price). I just pushed an old IBM G94 off my home desk and replaced it with a laptop and a 20.1" widescreen LCD display. The Viewsonic P95Fb will go back on line as soon as I decide on a graphics card for the docking station (the laptop only drives one external display directly). My plan is to use the CRT display mainly for photo editing.

I like the Matrox series for business graphics but their Linux driver support isn't. :-(

--
  Keith
Reply to

of

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000, which is pretty cheap now, with two big high-resolution Philips LCD panels. Works pretty much flawlessly in dual-monitor mode, except a few operations will cause the right monitor to go blank for a second or so. Well worth it, but I still print out stuff to have it simultaneously available.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany
[snip]

Turns out that the PSpice machine has an ATI Radeon 9600 card in it.

I'm really clueless about this sort of thing.

Does this card support two monitors?

...Jim Thompson

Apparently it supports two, but one has to be analog and the other digital. It also has a resolution limitation on widesreen of only 1080 vertical.

My one is actually made by Sapphire, with the ATI chipset.

I usually just ask my computer shop guy about stuff like this, and check the web for compatibility issues, especially with CAD programs, some of which are pretty fussy, and, in that business, the features and tradeoffs tend to have changed a lot between my purchases.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"ATI Radeon 9600" is a graphics chisp(set). Who knows who made the actual card.

There may be features left off, but the ATI chip supports multile monitors:

Has it got two connectors on the back? One is likely a DVI port, which can be adapted to VGA, or not.

--
  Keith
Reply to

My bet is that the DVI connector (if there is one) is a DVI-I connector (includes the analog VGA signals). There is a simple adapter that'll pick out the analog signals and convert to a standard VGA connector. Most cards come with these.

To see which DVI connector it is:

Single link DVI has a bandwidth limitation that creeps in about here (165MHz) but dual link doesn't. Again, the above link shows the connector differences.

Any half-height dual head cards to recommend?

--
  Keith
Reply to

I had this with my new Philips 200W. The screen would blank for a second sometimes when I opened a menu or moved a large window. I assume the right hand monitor is the one on the DVI port of the card?

I fixed the problem by selecting "Alternate DVI operational mode" from the advanced... options... tab of the display settings.

As for the suitability of LCDs for graphics work... Some monitors have an sRGB setting and come with an appropriate sRGB file which things like Photoshop can use.

Manufacturers do seem to inflate the contrast ratio figues by making the backlight REALLY BRIGHT, far too bright for normal use, it casts a shadow on the wall behind you.

Dave.

Reply to
David Jordan

I once got a Matrox Millennium off Ebay - it had two outputs, but one was a weird connector (like a DB-23 or something) which I didn't use - it was only my secondary display.

But it died. )-; Not that Matrox isn't a fine product, but some Ebay stuff is a little bit risky.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The View Sonics are pretty good. But if your physically looking at more than one Id go for a CRT. The LCD's tend to be inconsistant in brightness across the screen and looking at one then looking at another one , you'll see the artifacts.

Martine Riddle

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:21:14 -0400, Keith Gave us:

of

Nvidia OEMers and Nvidia by ASUS as well as ATI's stuff all have quite successful dual monitor mode video cards... most of which include Linux support and drivers.

Then, there is SLI. FOUR video ports!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:59:41 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Isn't *that* what you saw the "PSpice machine" doing?

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

some of

depending

I'll have to look at ASUS' offerings. I've been warned off ATI for Linux though.

You don't need SLI to get four video ports. Matrox makes four port cards and one can also use two two port cards, or four...

--
  Keith
Reply to

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:03:28 -0400, Keith Gave us:

some of

depending

Yes, but only one GPU, and only one bus pipe.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

some of

depending

display

The desktop can cover as many graphics cards as fit in the syetem.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Jim Thompson typed in news:// snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Do you use and DOS CAD programs? I still say to stick with Matrox, but I just remembered there is a specific problem with MSI cards and DOS graphics. The screen just goes blank when a DOS program uses graphics, so avoid MSI.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.