Monitor Question

Hmm, it's not just one. Once they had numerous TVs on display at Costco and the sun was shining into the entrance. The "old" CRT technology really stuck out in terms of contrast and visibility.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Forget about the cheap crap. Get an Eizo LCD monitor. Nothing compares (including Iiyama or Sony) to that. The electronics still make the difference between a good or a bad LCD monitor.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

One of my colleagues has one on his desk for a project he is working on. It truly is an awesome monitor!

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I wish they gave us adjustable line widths too.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

For XP... right-click an empty part of the desktop->Properties->Settings->Advanced->DPI setting->Custom setting.

As Robert says, there are a few programs out there that don't "scale" well; they're rather uncommon these days, though (becoming less and less common over the past 54 years or so...)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Aha! I didn't even know that was there. Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Well, yeah, but I would assume that if a PC has been delivered as a complete set with monitor and pre-configured by Dell or a company like that it must be set to that resolution. Same for LCD-TV sets at the stores.

The resolution isn't the issue. It's the incredible contrast that CRTs can deliver in high ambient light situations that I like. With TVs there is another issue but probably not related to the LCD itself: Objects in fast motion often don't look good on LCD.

It's similar with scopes. LCD screen are ok for mundane work. But when it comes to finding subtle phase glitches, runt pulses, wee noises and stuff like that nothing beats the old CRT. 'tis why you'll see a lot of those in my lab.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Michael,

Yes. Got a perfectly flat 21" Trinitron tube here. Really nice for lengthy CAD work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, but that isn't an LCD vs CRT issue, that is a digital vs analog scope issue.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

OR even better, get one of these:

Looks like NEC is back in the game..

Reply to
The Real Andy

I run two 19" LCD's. Code/debug in one, run the app I am writing in the other. When I am not debugging code, i run outlook in the other monitor so i can see my email come in.

It also saves you from printing documents, cause you can work from a PDF in one screen and code/draw in the other.

Some of the guys at work run three LCD's, but that is too many for me.

Reply to
The Real Andy

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:26:57 +1000, The Real Andy Gave us:

To pay that much for a 20ms response display... sad.

Won't see this kid calling that a value. Maybe if it was a wide form factor at 27 plus inches... Where is that fractal image at, I'll put it up on my screen and post a picture...

Progressive scan is cool. I can take pictures and video of my screen!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

properly installed and congfiggured they can be realy nice. I used a CMV 19" widescreen (1440*900) and after setting it up to get the sync signals like it said in the manual found it to be better than the Viewsonic E70 it replaced

--

Bye.
   Jasen

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:59:06 GMT, Joerg Gave us:

I have a Toshiba "combo" CRT display at 37 inches. It does 4:3 standard NTSC as well as HDTV modes via component or DVI interface.

I have a ViewSonic 32" HDTV HDMI LCD flat panel display that I consider to be awesome.

CRTs are still king, however.

In fact, the flat panel displays that are displacing them are doing so despite not being as good.

The reason? COST OF MANUFACTURE. Hot plastic is a lot cheaper per square foot than hot glass will ever be.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:58:07 -0000, Jasen Betts Gave us:

Download the images I posted.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Hello Roy,

I'll second that :-)

I believe there is a lot of "boast factor" in it. People want to show neighbors that they entered the Jetson's world with a flat screen that is bigger than everyone else's, or show the guy in the next cubicle that they have a new flat screen and thus must be more important than others.

So far my impression is that, at least for TVs, a CRT version of same size is cheaper at the store. And better. If there was an announcement that the last CRT factory would shut down I'd probably run out there to buy a TV set. So far I am not afraid that's going to happen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Chuck,

It's both. A LCD cannot do this, no matter what electronics are behind it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I'll make do with a 19" until my rich uncle dies. ;-)

--
Michael
Reply to

I've

apps.

Is that the one stuck in a wheel chair and lives at the top of a very steep hill? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, it isn't both. While the LCD is inherently a digital device in the way it has been used in oscilloscopes. The failings of a digital LCD scope are exactly the same as the failings of a digital CRT scope. It is the digital nature that makes each equally hard to work with.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris