Monitor Question

You can do that with any TFT display since the image is static. There is no scanning involved. I did some measurements on a TFT screen and the only ripple in lumination you'll find is caused by the back light.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:01:44 -0400, Chuck Harris Gave us:

That's why they have made it ONLY the display device. The actual sample of the event(s) get(s) stored. So one can zoom in on and see as detailed a trace as one needs.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Hello Chuck,

Agree, a digital scope with a CRT isn't able to find a lot of things. But I stand by my opinion that there is hardly a way to make a good, fast analog scope with a LCD. And here I mean a scope that can show the wee thickening of a trace at 5nsec/div because an unwanted modulated carrier intruded on a signal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 01:03:42 GMT, Joerg Gave us:

The resolution of a modern scope is not a function of the display that the final result is rendered on. That's the whole point of digital storage and signal analysis.

One must look at the stored data and make INFORMATION out of it. The way you examine it on the scope will be the determining factor in that effort, and it doesn't have to happen in real time.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 01:03:42 GMT, Joerg Gave us:

You guys must be talking about the old stuff.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

I've

apps.

(gasp!) You know him?!

--
Michael
Reply to

Nice finish.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

Jobs)

Both M$windows and Xwindows have adjustable line widths available at the API level and many programs provide user access to to these controls.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

I believe that you are misunderstanding the issues. LCD displays (including the dominanant TFT systems) update as frequently as any CRT. CRT displays have an exponential decay line by line of absolute luminance due to scanning. The luminosity decay that cause problems when converting to other media (photographs) is well known and understood, as well the means to combat them.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

LCD I've

*your* apps.

Know him? I saw you greasing his wheels, too! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just recently (last 6 months) ditched a 21" Sony trinitron for 2 19" LCD's. I will never go back, and i think my eyesight agrees. An LCD cannot go out of focus like an LCD does. I cant work on a CRT these days, cuase they all look out of focus to me.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Hello Roy,

That holds true if all the information can be digitized at reasonable cost. However, often fast single shot conversions don't yield more than

5-6 effective bits of resolution. Unless you have an almost infinite budget :-)

I just talked to a guy from Intel who is in charge of this arena. Made me drool. Thing is, I do not have Intel's budget for my lab.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Andy,

Guess it's different between people. I can work 12 hours on a 21" CRT. Same on an LCD but not if there is too much ambient light, especially from fluorescents.

Good CRTs don't go out of focus. The only time I had that happen was with a 15" Multi-Sync. But that was after almost 15 years of non-stop operation. The plastic of the monitor had already turned from white to beige.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Ironic isn't it? The monitor gets a nice suntan, and the user doesn't! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Jim Thompson typed in news:// snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Did you install TweakUI? With it you can set a parameter to ignore a certain amount of movement while double-clicking, and a parameter to ignore click-and-drag moves if the distance is below a minimum.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Thanks, Tom, I'll look into that.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson typed in news:// snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Ever see a picture of Bill Gates' desk? Three 21" monitors on one PC, arranged like a fitting mirror.

Also remember what Speff once said about multiple monitors: If they are not exactly the same size it's disorientating.

Stick with Matrox for quality and drivers that work.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:25:40 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso" Gave us:

All looking at stocks, and holdings trends.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Roy L. Fuchs typed in news:// snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

What else would he want to look at? Bug reports? Lists of competitors' features that his products won't have for another 7 years?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I second everyone switching to new large LCD's .... it's means I have a steady supply of SGI/Sun/Viewsonice Sony flat screen 21" monitors that I like much better :)) At under a $100/ea used, my desk has three of them, so I can keep schematics, pcb layout, and multiple data sheet PDF's open at the same time. Sure they fill the entire back of my desk and hang over the back edge, but on the other hand, I don't need a desk clutered with printouts anymore either. And all for less than the price of a single high res LCD display.

Reply to
fpga_toys