Low Jitter 20MHz oscillator

Hi all,

We need a low jitter clock generator ( 3v3 or 1v8 CMOS output single ended ), 20Mhz (+-few percent...) and most important a low jitter on this output (few ps).

Any ideas are welcomed. Habib.

Reply to
hbv

No affiliation, just an old customer.

Reply to
dave

Jitter is a function of the time span over which you measure it. You can draw a graph of RMS jitter vs measurement interval, in other words the jitter when you use the oscillator to time out various intervals, like if you divided it down to lower frequencies.

Cycle-to-cycle jitter dominates the low end of the graph. Most cheap crystal oscillators have a few picoseconds RMS jitter cycle-to-cycle and for timing intervals roughly up to a millisecond. If the osc is used to generate longer intervals, RMS jitter will start to increase roughly linearly with the interval, with the corner in the 1 ms range maybe. A cheap XO might have a few ps RMS jitter for short times, and maybe 5 or 10 ns per second. A really good SC-cut ovenized oscillator might have a few picoseconds jitter at 1 second.

The Fox Xpresso oscillators have low cycle-to-cycle jitter, like 1 ps.

Thermally insulating an XO with foam or something greatly improves long-interval jitter.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Any reasonably good crystal oscillator would do, provided sufficient power filtering. There is nothing special about few ps jitter at 20 MHz.

Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Designs

Vladimir Vassilevsky

You can easily slap one together with a 74HCU04. Just make sure it's the "U" version. ...Jim Thompson

Conner-Winfield DV75C series has maximum integrated phase jitter 1ps RMS over 12kHz to 20MHz. Period jitter 5ps RMS maximum. Also very good temperature stability for a low-power non-ovenized oscillator (which I happen to need).

Some info on jitter specs:-

Spehro Pefhany

Making an oscillator is easy. Making a low jitter oscillator isn't. A few uV of power supply noise would mess up the jitter specs of a 74HCU04 based oscillator. Minuscule temperature variations would probably do the same.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen

I doubt the "Minuscule temperature variations", and bypass capacitors are there for a reason >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Xtal base clock for 20 mhz should be ok..

Digikey has lots of XC type osc that are surface mount that fits your needs.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

How do you plan to measure the jitter?

Why does it matter?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser drivers and controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

Hello Jim,

What do you mean with "slap together with a U version" ? I believe an integrated oscillator will not gain benefit with an additional U version of anything.

Best regards, Habib

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

John,

Measuring jitter is really the point (method based on something which ressemble on eye diag or something like that ... i don't know at the moment) the best is that i would not measure anything like that, just based on component spec.

I need a CMOS low jitter oscillator (few ps in absolute way) only on specs for feeding the clock input of an16bits AD converter (is that so hard ?)

Some guys said that a basic 74HCU would be sufficient ... i did'nt read anything such a thing on any 74HCUxx datasheet.

I remember i had used IDT chips feeding a 100MHz PLL clock input for a PPC (AMCC PPC440) with something like 1 or 2 ps absolute jitter. I'm expecting that it's not so hard to find the equivalent on 20MHz.

I will manage the point this week.

Thx anyway for the topic. Habib

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

r with a 74HCU04.  Just make sure it's

A 74HCU04,an xtal, 2 caps, 2 resistors and you have a very nice oscillator

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Really good point, thank you. But for the silabs solutions i think these guys are too obfuscated ... and i'm too in a hurry.

Best Regards, Habib.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Ahh ok a simple RC oscillator on 20MHz ! mmhhh ... i would not experiment such a basic thing when stable, cheap and reliable integrated oscillators exits for years with a jitter as low as 1ps.

Thank anyway, Habib.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Habib, Your debut if off to a very shaky start. Most of the world uses 74HCU04 as the core of their crystal oscillators. And those two-pin ports on Microchip's uP's... guess what's inside ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

You're clueless... with a mouth to match :-( ...Jim Thompson

You're French... what can you say ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

not an RC oscillator a crystal oscillator, the R's are for bias and drive the C's for the xtal

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Jim,

I will never experiment a RC or Quartz + 74HCU or anything like that to achieve a low jitter oscillator. I leave this sort of thing to some flashers beginners. No offense.

And the fact is i'm French has nothing to do with this.

Habib.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet