ZAX Z-80 Emulator

I have a ZAX Z-80 emulator that I got over 25 years ago when the company I worked for was getting rid of assets no longer needed, and I used it a couple of times for a product that had been designed with Z80 processors. I have not used it for about that long and I don't know if it still works or has succumbed to dust and humidity. I'm sure the floppy disks with the software are pretty hopeless after my recent experiences. But I found some of the files that I had copied to hard drives, and I may even have the software on some really old drives. I don't think I will ever use this emulator and I'd like to find a good home for it. I know some of you design and/or service vintage equipment that may use Z80s, so I'll give you first dibs before I put it on eBay. If I do, what do you think it might sell for?

Here is a sample of the command set, and I think you can just use an RS232 terminal for communication:

ZAX.DOC --- 6/17/94 --- PES

*********************** ZAX EMULATOR COMMANDS *******************************

Annnn Assemble Z80 code at Hex location nnnn

B Shows breakpoints? E(OFF) T(ON) S(DI) W(ON)

D[mmmm],[nnnn] Display memory from Hex location mmmm to nnnn

Ennnn Edit memory at Hex location nnnn Use / to exit

Fmmmm,nnnn,dd Fill memory from mmmm to nnnn with data dd

G[mmmm],[nnnn] Go to location mmmm, break at nnnn

H[I] Clock Counter = nnnnnnnn Storage Mode = EM Storage Size = mmm/nnn

HMnnnn Display history buffer for nnnn machine cycles

HDnnnn Display history buffer for nnnn instructions

In Set In-circuit mode n [0,1,2] 0 (US=>RW) 1 2 (RW,RO=>US)

L filename.hex Load Intel Hex filename

MA Display memory map

MAmmmm,nnnn=dd Map memory from mmmm to nnnn: RO=Read Only RW=Read/Write US=User

Mmmmm,nnnn,dddd Move memory between mmmm and nnnn to dddd

N Next Instruction (Trace)

Pmm[=nn] Read port mm [output data nn] Exit with /

Q Quit (Does not work in Local/Terminal Mode)

R Register display

Smmmm,nnnn,dd Search from mmmm to nnnn for data dd

T[R] Trace status

U NMI=DIS Disable NMI (Does not work in Remote Mode)

V ? Needs Filename

========================= ========================= ======

Other files I found are: ASMZ80.EXE 7/23/1984 103K VDTE.EXE 12/31/1982 26K ZAXE2H.COM 1/1/1980 4K ZAXICE.COM 1/1/1980 7K

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Mar 2013 01:06:05 -0500) it happened "P E Schoen" wrote in :

I wrote a simple Z80 disassembler, the output will reassemble with ZASM (by Zilog):

If you want a Z80 system, perhaps look for those old Sinclair (Timex) boxes, spectrum, ZX80, ZX81. Wrote a CPM clone too...

There is a Z80 emulator for the MS operating system. Probably also for Linux.

I managed to rescue some of my old Z80 code from 5 1/4 inch flops.

But sure put it on ebay, some, old millionaire may get dreams of teh past, and perhaps go for it.

Actually I was happy to get rid of that thing, and it is now somewhere in a landfill. Reality check: Get a Raspberry Pie.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A hardware emulator can be plugged into the CPU socket of a physical circuit. Software emulators don't generally provide this functionality.

Reply to
Nobody

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Mar 2013 13:17:25 +0000) it happened Nobody wrote in :

Yes, but they replace the whole thing and are faster on top of that with modern GHz CPUs. Like I said, my self designed multi eurocard Z80 system is in the landfill. I have no horse and carriage either.

Z80 was so simple you did not need an 'emulator' not even a debugger. I wrote a whole CP/M clone on a Z80 without using a debugger. Learn to !^&$&^^$#*^% program!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There is a full CPM emulator around for a PC - so that MUST be Z80 compatable

Reply to
David Eather

On a sunny day (Sat, 02 Mar 2013 09:43:31 +1000) it happened "David Eather" wrote in :

Yes, I have it, and there is also a program that can read old KayproII disk format on the PC, think it is called 22disk or something like that. Single sided, 5 1/4 inch, 8 sectors per track, 40 tracks :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

KayproII

I also have 22disk:

The following disk types are supported by the registered version of

22DISK: ========================= ========================= =========================

Generic CP/M - SSSD 8" ABC-80 - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" A. B. Dick Magna III - DSDD 48 tpi 5.25" Actrix (Access Matrix) - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" Actrix (Access Matrix) - DSDD 48 tpi 5.25" Adler Textriter - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" Advanced Digital Super 6 - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" .... Zenith Z-100 - SSDD 8" Zenith Z-37 Disk - DSDD 96 (Half drive) 5.25" Zenith/Heath H-89 Extended Density - DSDD 48 tpi 5.25" Zenith Z-100, Heath H-47 Extended Density - DSDD 8" Zenith Z-100, Heath H-47 - DSDD 8" Zorba - DSDD 48 tpi 5.25" Zorba - DSDD 96 tpi 5.25"

And also 22nice:

22NICE A New Insystem CP/M Emulator Version 1.3, July, 1990

22Nice is a Z80/8080 CP/M 2.2 emulator for use on PC-compatible computers. The 22Nice CP/M Emulation package offers the follow- ing features:

  • Emulate 8080/8085/Z80 processors with or without NEC V-series chip installed. 22Nice contains an emulator for both 8080 and Z80 processors. 22Nice also has a test mode, which allows identification of the ap- propriate processor needed for emulation.
  • Provides terminal emulation for most common CP/M machines with terminal types for Osborne, Kaypro, Heath/Zenith, Morrow, Actrix, DEC VT-100/VT-52, Televideo 925/950 and LSI ADM-3A.
  • Supports CP/M user number to DOS sub-directory transla- tion.
  • Allows use of DOS "pipes" and utilities with CP/M programs.
  • Supports a complete set of BDOS and BIOS function inter- faces, including direct disk read/write.
  • CP/M programs are fully integrated into the DOS environ- ment; the user is unaware that a program is CP/M- or DOS-based.

Previously I had used a "Baby Blue" ISA card which contained a Z80 and ran CP/M on a hardware platform. I needed that for the CP/M programs M80 (Macroassembler) and L80 (Linker) used for my Z80 project. Fortunately I had copied these files from the 5-1/4 disks to a hard drive before they went

bad. I doubt I'll ever use them, but it's good to know I have them. There are still some of these units (PLC-2000) in the field. But we now offer a complete retrofit package that gets rid of the old hardware (ca1986) and

replaces it with somewhat newer hardware which still uses a Z180 in a ZWorld "Smart Core" module (ca 1994). Some of the history of this project is on my website:

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

spectrum, ZX80, ZX81.

Several. at-least one for CP/M, several for Sinclair, a couple for gameboy. and qemu which is generic

But Paul's emulator is a hardware in-circuit emulator.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sat, 2 Mar 2013 17:32:05 -0500) it happened "P E Schoen" wrote in :

Was not the Z180 a Z80 with many peripherals integrated? IIRC the Chinese copied it after the patents expired, and it found its way into a lot of their stuff.

Yes I had the Software Toolworks C80 C compiler, it generated 8080 ASM, and had the 8080 assembler. I wrote some macros to make the Z80 instructions.. Or maybe even hex code... Things like ld (ix + n), value in 8080 asm... otir ldir were very powerful instructions for that time. The C80 C compiler no longer did read back from 5 1/4 flop, that was not free software either, nice compiler though, very basic C. But gcc and libc is better :-) Would not want to go back. Even did write a small multitasker with windows for that Z80 system, did not read back either...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (3 Mar 2013 08:33:33 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

spectrum, ZX80, ZX81.

Also called ICE, but you do not need that for a Z80 (or any other simple micro IMNSHO).

I mean how much can you screw up with rd / wr/ ioreq and all perhipheral chips like PIO, CTC, DART, etc. Would require a drunk layouter :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje