Jfet PushPull amp

Hi all I need to build a Jfet pushpul low power amp like those in transistor radios of the 70's with audio transformer output .

The problem is how to bias the output Jfets when I use a single 9VDC supply .

Any Ideas ?

Thanks BarNash

Reply to
BarNash

Decoupled source resistors. Degrades the efficiency. Watch for imbalance which might bias the transformer.

Graham H

Reply to
Holloway,Graham (UK)

That's very weird. Why do you need to do that?

John

Probably class B or AB.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And an output filter to deaden the high harmonic blips while it's slewing inbetween?

Ewww...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

I measure noise and distortion in PPM... single digits of same.

Class AB bipolar amps are hardly linear open-loop.

John

So you've got ~80dB NFB? Yea, at what frequency?

Then you didn't design them correctly. Hell, lots of emitter resistors and a few more gain stages and you don't even need a loop.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

50 KHz net bandwidth is good for NMR and MRI. The real trick is to get any hum way below 1 PPM and to have steps settle to PPMs in 100 usec or so.

It's not a single overall fb loop... there's some local stuff around the output stage.

The driver, usually dueling current sources, slamming into the output transistor bases is a major source of nonlinearity. All sorts of stuff happens near the zero crossing, or elsewhere for reactive loads.

I prefer to drive the loads out of the drains of the fets, not the sources. One of the many benefits is that you can bolt all the fets to a common heat sink with no insulators.

ftp://66.117.156.8/Amp.jpg

John