Low cost coax connectors

measure

And obviously he ran out of paint while doing it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

in

so

Do you think that a power coaxial connector pair would leak less RF than a 3.5 mm stereo plug/jack? Why?

John

Well, yeah, but mine's hand-twirled. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Joerg, just in case none told you yet, there is lower cost SMB type especially designed for hih volume stuff : They call it ARC

(nterface compatible with DIN72594-1 (FAKRA) SAE / USCAR-18 )

and it goes to 6GHz.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

measure

No! It is essential that the raw underbelly of the rock remain unfettered for proper function. ;-]

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

in

They

so

the

Some versions have the outer barrel all metal to act as a shield, whereas the audio plug has no shielding effects at all via its design.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

No. You are retarded for thinking that it has some meaning.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Try copper. Tinned copper to be exact.

"Hand formable, semi rigid" is tinned braid coax.

Looks like a crimp style termination to me.

Hell, some of them SCREW onto the shield!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

RG-174... RG-179... both are the same diameter (hence the confusion), which is what makes using F style, and certain other terminations difficult.

I didn't say that you couldn't solder them. I said that the industry typically doesn't solder them. They are SPC, so they would actually take solder easier than cheaper cabling does. What I said was that those higher end type cables, and modern manufacturing processes RARELY use a soldered shield method. The center pin gets a gold pin soldered or crimped onto it, and the shield gates a ferrule crimped over it, and onto the return side of the termination.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

It is even better to buy one's ENET cat6 jumpers pre-formed than to cut them in house. The molded end is actually vacuum impregnated through the connector after it gets crimped on with the cat 6 shield. Pretty nice stuff, even from the cheap Chinese sources.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Now as you point it out ... on first sight it looked like a tarpaulin over something bulky. Why would they hide a helostat for the picture anyway?

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

But they do look expensive. Anyhow, we usually don't need to go over a GHz and right now FAKRA connectors seem to still be around a Dollar in quantities. There is no way for me to justify that kind of cost in a multi-channel system where this suffices and can be had for around 25c:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sheesh... You ended up back at square one.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Sure looks like it right now :-)

OTOH that hint with FAKRA connectors was great. Since they are used in automotive there should be a chance that they come down some more. SMA and SMB never will. Once FAKRA connectors break the 50c barrier they could become viable in many of my designs. So now they are on my personal watch list.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That was the funny part. His store (RadioShaft) took back the phones too, but that didn't change the measurements. Returns didn't count against, but lost sales sure did. It's a wonder RadioShaft is still in business.

--
  Keith
Reply to

That blows up when the balance sheet and SEC docs are due Jan-10 of the following year. At some point it will be noticed that something doesn't compute and then, oh boy, they'd be all over them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No, it just shows how screwed up performance measurements can be. "You get what you measure", comes to mind. In this case they got a pile of used cell phones.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I ran a division of a company for a while. You can't play those games there. One, as a general manager you could be enjoying a few years in the slammer and the CFO would be right next door. Secondly, there is that balance sheet. Whatever a corporation does that balance sheet has to jibe and after too much "creative accounting" it just won't. Oh, and sure enough the guys that bought our company tried exactly that and, very predictably, this all hit the fan a few days after new years eve. When the balance sheet had to be filed. Kablouie. The stock lost 99.9% of its value within weeks and it was all over. Poof. Luckily I didn't have any of that stock :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

As long as the balance sheet shows the pile of cell phones, everyone at the DOJ and SEC is happy. My point is that management measurements don't necessarily reflect optimum corporate performance. There is nothing illegal about rewarding incompetence.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Problem is, neither the tax folks nor the SEC nor any reputable auditors would let a umpteen-year amortization table for "slightly used" cell phone fly. Also, excessive inventory leads to an egg in the face at the next board meeting.