Low cost ferrite

Hey

As always, I am looking for saving cost (who isn't)

I'm doing a new power design, and looking for cheap ferrite. Run of the mill, N87, PC95 etc, nothing fancy. In this case it's a planar design, but it really doesn't matter

I would normally use Epcos/Ferroxcube, Magnetics, Fair-rite. Well reputed suppliers, but with a margin

There is cheaper alternatives, just flinging names: Hua Jung, DMEGC, Fuantronics, NCD, Acme, Cosmo

Anybody been down this road, found a cheap, reliable source?

Cheers

Klaus

Re: Low cost ferrite

Isn't the answer 3C90 in the past and 3C94 now?

I would say that 3C95 is a high-performance material, hence counts as
fancy. But it depends on your reference frame, for some people 8C11
wouldn't be too fancy.

There is plenty of cheap PC40 on AliExpress. Ferritish to the point of
being boring. It works. Nothing to see here, move along.

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: Low cost ferrite
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 16:02:12 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund

You want cheap, you're better off going with the flow.

Use commodity core shapes and get the thing made off-shore.
Give the vendor multiple core material options, including
Cosmo, Acme,Samwha,YTE and the usual western brands of
roughly equivalent grade - it doesn't have to be a lousy one.

Quote insulation by UL category and class, not by mfr name.
Wire by NEMA/IEC standard and temperature index, to match
your insulation system.

I've had parts quoted for pennies, assembled, probably just
because the material requirements could be met by stock on-hand.

Small vendors in the 'west' don't stand a chance in the
costing game.

RL

Site Timeline