JVC 55" Rear-projection TV

Our 18 year-old rear projection TV (JVC 55" Letter-box) has finally failed... or not quite... the blue sweep only, dips dramatically in the upper middle of the screen making for some garish looking pictures... particularly on old B&W Hitchcock re-runs (playing here w/o commercials ;-)

So I bought a 55" LCD (LED-backlit) at 1/4 the price of the original.

The new set weighs 40#, the old one is so heavy I can barely lift one end. I had visions of throwing it on my pick-up truck and taking it to this weekend's hazardous waste at the local park. But I'd need a couple of moving-company-strength assistants.

Anyone here in Arizona want it?

If not I'll bust it up and dispose in liftable chunks.

Also listed at...

Contact info in the sig... ...Jim Thompson

Throw in on craigslist or whatever and get fifty bucks or something for it. Or even give it away. It has a convergence problem and can be fixed. But if you bust it up you them waste the pollution caused to build the thing.

Plus the fact that those things are ten times more reliable than the new stuff so someone without alot of money could have it for a while.

Jeff Urban

Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by force ;-)

Anything there worth saving?

I see some nice heatsinks.

The "screen" _is_ a grating (Fresnel?). Is that worth anything? ...Jim Thompson

--

--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

It'd make a bodacious oscilloscope for your local technical museum.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

)

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Copper is just NOT that expensive yet. And, don't see any gold.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Hook up wire from the harness. :-) Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

On May 7, 10:32=A0am, Jim Thompson wrote: > Here it is, broken open, a couple of hidden screws "assisted" by force ;-) >

And don't tell me, the new set picture is MASSIVELY better than the old one even on its best day. Try Craig's list and then dismantle it. RIP JVC. Why didn't you replace it sooner?

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

$80.00

$34.00

$97.50

That's going three pages deep on ebay.

Some have a frame built and installed. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Full knock-down...

They don't make them like that anymore. ...Jim Thompson

Good grief, you think there's enough timmers in there?

Reply to
flipper

I counted - I saw 115 trimpots on that one board. Damnation!

However, it is a scavengers dream. Lots of well marked VLSI chips on there.

Maybe an astronomy club would want those lenses.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

They would be nothing like diffraction limited or monochromatic so the best bet is to donate them to the scouts for fire starting with the sun.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I suspected they might be good for something. ...Jim Thompson

--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Note that there are only two CRT's shown... the third was the failure mechanism... leaking oil ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Glycol based coolant. That was a common failure, and fairly easy to fix.

Michael A. Terrell

And optical interface between CRT face and lens... cute! ...Jim Thompson

--

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Another problem with it was something growing in the coolant, witch causes it to run hotter, and affecting the focus or having a dim area in that color.

Michael A. Terrell

Too late now. :)