Large 10mm+ rectangular LEDs as used on the Commodore Amiga and CBM 1571 units...

I have asked this in sci.electronics.repair and got several answers, but no= ne exactly what I was looking for. So per the suggestion of people on that = NG, I'm asking here.

I'd like to purchase large rectangular LEDs like those that were used in th= e ancient Commodore 1571 5 1/4 inch floppy disk drives...

Red and green would suffice.

Are these still manufactured and any US mail order where I can order some?

Pics from my Amiga 1200:

Those are marked "LED 1" "LED 2" and "LED 3" on a small PCB hooked by 4 wir= es to the A1200 motherboard. Now, tearing apart and crippling Amiga 1200 co= mputers doesn't sound like my idea of fun to source these large LEDs. ;)

For comparison's sake, I included a US quarter coin on one of the pics.=20

If you look at picture #3, you will see these are not the usual "translucen= t piece of plastic in front of a regular LED" but actually these were manuf= actured as a single piece, you cannot "detach" the leads from the plastic, = and the connection pins appear from within the rectangular plastic block. T= hat leads me to believe these LEDs were mass manufactured...

-----WHY OH WHY?----- (if you don't care why I'm seeking those, feel free t= o skip this section).

On desktop-bound PCs, LEDs had a purpose: to give a visual clue about what = is going on with a certain system component. So if the software had an unex= pected pause but you saw a LED blinking on the CD-Reader you said to yourse= lf "ok, it' s reading data from the CD". Or, coversely, when there was a pa= use in software or you started a disk-intensive operation and let it run in= the background you could look at a PC and say "oh, it's still doing disk I= /O... the background job has not finished yet".

Plus, LEDs were easily viewable because Destkops were, as its name implied,= on top of DESKS, so just by looking at the side of the monitor, there usua= lly was the PC with its HDD actvity LEDs.

Nowadays, my PC is a mid-tower server tucked under the desk. So while the M= OBO still provides a "HDD activity" led, it' s about 5 inches from the floo= r level and so tiny and slightly inside the case that it is viewable only a= t such angle that I'd have to lay on the floor to see it. That's when this = idea of installing large LEDs on top of the case started, as I remembered I= never had a problem seeing disk activity on either my 1571 FDDs or my Comm= odore Amiga....

If you still think this is a silly idea, consider why people write SOFTWARE= to simulate the HDD led blinks on screen widgets or using the keyboard LED= s...

"How to move your HDD leds to some more visible position using keyboard LED= s"

"Windows HDD systray indicator"

However, since I run several different OSs, I' d like my "solution" to be h= ardware, not software based...

----end of the "WHY" explanation----

So, some nice fellow on sci.electronics.repair pointed to 10mm round LEDs a= vailable at Radio Shack,

Id=3D2062563 but while the idea sounds tempting, I'm still puzzled about th= e source of Commodore's LEDs and if those (or similar) can still be found. = Or at least similarly-large rectangular LEDs...

TIA for any pointers... FC

Reply to
Fernando Cassia
[snip]

available at Radio Shack,

but while the idea sounds tempting, I'm still puzzled about the source of Commodore's LEDs and if those (or similar) can still be found. Or at least similarly-large rectangular LEDs...

Not quite what you're looking for, but...

JW

available at Radio Shack,

but while the idea sounds tempting, I'm still puzzled about the source of Commodore's LEDs and if those (or similar) can still be found. Or at least similarly-large rectangular LEDs...

This company makes wide bargraph displays with 12 mm wide LEDs: Maybe they will sell you some individual LEDs?

Michael A. Terrell

ound LEDs available at Radio Shack,

jsp?productId=3D2062563 but while the idea sounds tempting, I'm still p= uzzled about the source of Commodore's LEDs and if those (or similar) c= an still be found. Or at least similarly-large rectangular LEDs...

Thanks JW!. So far that seems to be the best (only) choice...

FC

Reply to
Fernando Cassia

<

Just in case someone comes across this thread some time later, I've found one Chinese manufacturer of these "Light bar" LEDs.

As usual, it's easier to find something once one knows the right name for it :) FC

Reply to
Fernando Cassia

David Eather

This guy says he has 10mm x 10mm square

Also

5mm x 5mm square

And HP - similar to from futurlec

David Eather

What's wrong with using epoxy to merge/embed cheap high output LED's into light conductive plastic? All of this just to remote indicate activity?

Isn't there a tiny freeware software to put a color blip to indicate drive activity down by the system clock?

The imbilical to the desktop could get really nasty.

Not all background tasks access hard disk either.

Windows accesses hard disk more or less without any good reason as well.

Reply to
Greegor

LEDs available at Radio Shack,

but while the idea sounds tempting, I'm still puzzled about the source of Commodore's LEDs and if those (or similar) can still be found. Or at least similarly-large rectangular LEDs...

Look a the Mouser 604-WP113IDT and similar rectangular LEDs; glue them side-by-side if need.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Reply to
Greegor