Is this an ad for Facebook? 2nd attempt to pot

this sequence of text appeared late at night in the middle of TV programming on Direct TV Cable:

talked about everything being shut off, especially power grid, with a following revolution

any ideas what this is?

paraphrased:

# !/usr/bin/ksh # $ld:csere,v 1.1 22:9 sms Exp$ # Shell sript to connect to 8397/37 by PPP Connect () { echo Connecting ... ncmap 0 mtu ndpdefault default route echo Connect Chat ''AT OK-AT-OK ATZ OK-AT-OK 'ATS0=0 Q0 V1 &C1&D2 $C1&D2&K0&M4&R2&H1&I0' OK-AT-OK ATDT0845080100 CONNECT

>> WHAT IF
[only mentions FACEBOOK]

...snip...

PGM 9-17-12

Reply to
Robert Macy

Michael A. Terrell

did I miss something? nomention there.

Our Direct TV cable has NO internet access.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Ours does. It's how it does its PPV billing thing. Surprised me because I didn't have enough power (or space) planned for the media distribution panel. Needed two more outlets for DirectTV.

Reply to
krw

Like how many people have a dialup modem connected these days?

Reply to
Grant

Yoh! This one here!

Saved me three times, as I watched virii/malware 'try' something, simply ripped the connection BEFORE anything significant happened. May hav been false alrams, may not have been. Either way, Win98 and dial up has its moments.

THAT's EXACTLY what caught my eye too. Why all those 'geeky' modem calls? UNLESS some type of ad.

*if* it's an ad for Facebook, it is typical of all the new internet 'something' ads I've seen. They contain techno garble; tout something important, but nothing there is important; and leave me asking, "What exactly ARE they selling/advertising?" Our economy is REALLY in trouble when the ads can't even get their points across!
Reply to
Robert Macy

Looks like it's trying to use your modem to call Vietnam (country code 84). Art

Reply to
Artemus

Yup, If you buy a PPV, it will call home in the middle of the night to update the purchase. I guess if you never connect after a PPV purchase then it may shutdown and lock you out. Never tried it.

Martin Riddle

And it got a "CONNECT" response? Oh boy!

Has Direct TV got a linux virus broadcasting to every receiver picking up their sat signal?

The attackers's political message about a coming revolution is interesting considering their attempted phone call.

Reply to
Greegor

Or plain old long distance call fraud? I don't remember entire modem AT command set, perhaps they silence the modem before dropping the line then making the dial out (ATDT...)?

Direct and simple rip offs via phone bill?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

he doesn't say anything to suggest that happened...

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

M0 (but sometime M3 or L0)

not vivible in that script

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Freudian slip?

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Poor eyesight and a keyboard on a sloppy slide out tray.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He's pap happy.

Piss him off, and he'll pap you around a bit.

Just call him "Pappy".

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Art > Looks like it's trying to use your modem to call Art > Vietnam (country code 84).

G > And it got a "CONNECT" response? =A0Oh boy!

Jasen Betts > he doesn't say anything to suggest that happened...

Didn't you catch this line which included a smartmodem response?

In the old AT command set CONNECT is a "verbose" RESPONSE from the smartmodem indicating that phone number answered and the carriers locked.

If whoever was trying to call VN mistakenly thought you could use that in a dial string, and commanded CONNECT in a dial string it would elicit an ERROR response. QED it was a response indicating the carriers locked.

Reply to
Greegor

That's wishfull thinking.

in context:

That's a chat script

it says initialise the modem and then dial 0845080100 and expect a "CONNECT" response there's no evidence it was ever run.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts