Needhams EMP-21 programmer repair

Would anybody know a repair service or any technical info available for a Needhams EMP-21 device programmer? We have one that the USB driver can't connect. Tried it on several computers, even with the original install disc and no connection.

Needhams went out of business several years ago.

Thank you for any information Bob Oppenheimer

Reply to
Oppie

I've got one at home that we may be able to do some A/B comparisons with. Also, if yours is an early model, there was a failure on the CCA in the power section on mine that they repaired (at no cost, even though the unit was out of the warranty period). I don't recall exactly what was fixed -- under-rated resistor maybe? -- but if you pop it open and do some basic checks of the power supply it may become evident. I'll open mine up tonight to see if I can tell what was swapped.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

There is a Yahoo Groups community "needhamsprogrammers" where a fair bit of information about the Needhams programmers is available. I would suggest signing up for that group (email traffic levels are low and IMO are quite noise-free), see if they have any schematics for that programmer, and ask the group for hints and ideas.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Platt

Industrial surplus stores.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

No joy, I'm afraid. I had convolved the EMP-11 on the home bench with an EMP-21 (20?) at a previous employers.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Convolved or conflated?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks Dave. I put in a request to join the group. We'll see what comes of it. The office has several EMP20 (parallel port), an EMP21 (USB) and an EMP30 (parallel port). All good units that serve us well. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

"TheGlimmerMan" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Know of any in the NYC area or mail order that you could recommend? Used to love 'Radio Row' in Manhattan and never found anything comparable since they razed the area to build the World Trade Center.

Reply to
Oppie

Brand new, and actually worth it, since it is. But no, I do not know your area.

I AM THAT I AM

Thank you. I'll give it to one of my guys that has an ebay account.

Reply to
Oppie

Dimmie said that it's new, but the listing says it's used. Also, the EMP-20 we were using a decade ago was already too old for some of the chips we needed to program. We had a problem with some resistors opening up in them, as well. We had about a half dozen of them scattered around the facility.

Michael A. Terrell

You'd pay $180 for that !!!!!!

What does Needham do that those at the bottom of that same page can't ?

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I misread it. It is not new, but not much gets old in them.

Reply to
I AM THAT I AM