integrated laptop webcam extraction to USB- suggested models?

Due to budget constraints, current webcam shortages, and an upcoming pressing need, I am considering acquiring one or more "integrated" webcams presumably from eBay and elsewhere and attempting to modify it by adding a USB cable so I can use with my current system. I have already seen plenty of tutorials and videos on the modifications, and the process looks simple enough with good results if one keeps in mind whether or not a voltage drop is needed for webcam power as apparently some use 3V and not 5V USB, and also taking necessary static and soldering precautions. However, there's one important thing that seems to be missing with the online information: precisely which webcam models are suitable-- especially, formerly integrated boards that would offer at least 720p resolution as well as audio output along the same USB data lines.

As an initial experiment, I extracted an integrated webcam from an old, unused no longer functioning HP DV5 laptop. After a bit of trial and error, using a multimeter, as well as referencing online information, I was able to adapt it to USB and it is currently working on my system. However, it is not HD and the audio had a digital output separate from the four wire USB output. I was unable to adapt its audio, so ended up having to use a separate electret mic plugged into the desktop. This, although workable, is not desired and I would like to have the audio coming from the camera as well, with the audio part of the same two USB data lines.

I'm no expert in this and trying to keep it as simple as possible. Webcam board voltage is the most critical aspect, but I'd like to know if there's an online resource somewhere listing what integrated models are suitable for the job and what the particulars are per model (HD or not, audio output, etc). So far, I have not had luck finding beyond "generic" generalized information so, if anyone can suggest a source, please share. I need to get a workable system up and running by the end of this week.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Drake L Legg

The 'webcam' name is old terminology, videoconference hardware might be more suitable as a descriptor for modern items.

A variety of cameras (including several generations of still-photography cameras, auatomobile dashcams, and other digital video recorders) can serve to give audio/video at a variety of resolutions, and many can do it off-the-tether on battery power as well as through USB or WiFi.

High quality video on USB is NOT an easy task, because USB is a master-slave system that requires buffering and/or generates odd delays. You want a video stream to be uninterrupted, and USB variants can't all handle that.

HD video is an undefined mishmash of different systems, including the highly compressed broadcast HDTV; you cannot reasonably be expected to support all of those, you'll have to settle for a subset.

Reply to
whit3rd

Really? There are plenty of webcam on ebay for around $10 to $15.

Well, that's the tough part.

Reply to
Edward Lee