HP Rant & Open mic for suggestions on how to kill an PSC2210 all-in-one printer

I consider myself a reasonably patient person, but I have simply reached my limit this morning with my only remaining HP PSC-2210 all- in-one printer!!

It is perhaps the biggest piece of shit HP has EVER manufacturered. I used to own (3) of them at one time, but this is the only one left

-- and even now, the ONLY thing I can use it for is for scanning. (Trying to print, fax or copy with it will just give you ulcers.)

Over the course of the past year - it has re-installed itself on my PC eleven times! -- without any intervention from me! So, even though I only have one scanner attached, I get to choose from a list of 11, 10 of which won't work and you can't even uninstall them. The driver software was probably written by a kindergartener.

Now of course, the scanner doesn't want to scan anymore. I've verified that if the first pixel of the scan is black (or very nearly black), the software bombs out. Like I said - a true piece of shit.!!!

So -- I've reached the limit of what I am prepared to put up with. I can afford a real scanner. This all-in-one must die, and it will die soon.

I was thinking of an Egyptian burial, maybe dig a hole in the back yard, throw in some dried up printer cartridges -- that sort of thing. Any thoughts?

In the spirit of Office Space (movie), I'm prepared to YouTube it if anybody can come up with a truly horrible end for this device. (I cannot in good conscience give it away...)

Oh, and by the way, I should probably just mention that HP bounced a $100 rebate check for one of these all-in-ones, but possibly not this particular unit. I've still got the bounced rebate check (and of course HP could care less.) My next scanner WILL NOT be anything made by HP.

Reply to
mpm

Exactly what I thought of when I was reading your rant. Great movie!

Wood chipper. (I'll raise you a Fargo)

Reply to
JW

That happens if you try to break the rules. One of the rules is: never buy an all-in-one.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Mar 2011 06:40:48 -0700 (PDT)) it happened mpm wrote in :

It is the sign of times, read my experince with my new Samsung 46 inch 3D HDTV:

Bit to expensive to throw away just yet.

Burn it, video on youtube.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I recently bought a Brother MFC6490C B-size all-in-one, which I'm very pleased with. (I exchange a lot of hand-drawn and otherwise scribbled-on B-size schematics with clients.)

I also have an Epson Stylus Photo RX620, which has worked pretty well in a light-duty role for several years. My beef with the Epson is that if one colour of ink runs low, it won't let you do anything--not B&W printing, not even scanning.

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:13:43 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

I have the EPSON photo R200, bought if for direct on DVD printing mainly. I have an older Epson too. For the R200 I use the ink system from

. That so far has saved the price of several printers at least.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'd just grab the sledge hammer. Feels good to be personally involved in the destruction.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

10-4! Lesson learned !!! Never again.
Reply to
mpm

Oooh! I like the wood chipper idea. !! I can load it up with paper first too.

Reply to
mpm

I've followed that rule since the days of radio-cassette-record player combos. And I always advise my friends and clients not to go for all-in-ones for use with their PCs.

Reply to
Pimpom

How about emptying an M-16 magazine at it?

Reply to
Pimpom

Stress is a killer. An axe and sledge hammer would liberate all the months, perhaps years of stress and frustration caused by the product and reduce the possibility of serious illness. You just keep going until the thing is reduced to small bits of plastic, then sweep it up and put it in the bin and forget about it.

I've lost my rag a couple of times over errant, crap quality kit. The result was never recoverable, but it made me feel much better :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Pease talks about 'Widlarizing' flaky parts--bashing them with a hammer so they'll never fool you again. That's not as satisfying with e.g. an op amp in an SC-70 package, but a printer is just the thing.

Of course if you overdo it, you can bring on a heart attack. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If you look at the early scanjet, or laserjet series, they were built like a tank. Very cheap on ebay now, though the scanners were often scsi or parallel port. The software is still available though and you never have to think about whether it will work or not. Modern hp consumer stuff is all crap afaics, though the corporate kit is a little better.

BTW, after the recent discussion on noise and your mention, I bought a copy of Motchenbacher on Abe for ~$10. Never seen the book before and haven't done audio design for years, but there's some really good stuff in there, so thanks...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Glad you like Motchenbacher. He's a good egg, even if he does have this

2N4250 fixation. ;)

A couple of years ago I got a Laserjet 6P for $25 on eBay, and paid another $8 for a 48 MB memory upgrade. Slow but bulletproof, and the supplies are really cheap.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Just curious: I was wondering if you have the same refilling service that we have here in India. Here, some third party companies have a nation-wide network of refilling service for inkjet and laser printer cartridges. The one I use charges a flat rate of about USD9 for lasers. (An priginal HP cartridge for my LJ1020 costs $70). House calls are just $1.10 extra, even if they decide to take it back to their workplace and then bring it back. A freshly refilled cartridge doesn't always produce perfect prints at first and they keep at it until it does. If necessary, they even replace the drum for a little bit of extra charge. I can't see any difference in the print quality. I even use it for toner transfer to PCBs.

Reply to
Pimpom

[snip]

The ultimate satisfaction can be had by selling it to Ian Field ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

We had problems with an HP printer (not a do-it-all). My boss and I were so peeved that we packaged it up and sent it back to HP requesting that it was not even worthy of our dumpster. We told them to use their own dumpster to dispose of it.

BTW, it was still in warranty. We decided that it would be cheaper to by another printer that to spend time screwing with the warranty.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

This is an electrical engineering newsgroup, isn't it?

How about applying some horribly high voltage at high current, with the device located someplace safe for it to go KABLOOEY in a spectacular way?

(Suitably rated and sized fire extinguisher handy, no flammables or combustibles within reach of burning shrapnel)

(Bypass the fuse if there is one, maybe add some pyrotechnic material)

WARNING - flames have been known to conduct high voltage, and carbonized materials and red-hot ash are conductive. Find a place where that will not be a problem should the destruction be a nicely videogenic one.

Otherwise, skip the high voltage - go for pyrotechnics or some grisly mechanical abuse, such as with a jackhammer.

--
 - Don Klipstein (Jr) (don@misty.com)
Reply to