Sheeeesh! A new problem every minute...

My venerable OfficeJet Pro K850 (Tabloid, 11"x17") refuses to print, with some hp crap message that the cartridges have timed-out :-(

Anyone know a hack?

A new set of cartridges is ~$200, and I'm not sure if the print heads will require replacing as well... it's been a year since it was last used :-(

For a quick fix, I'll take my memory stick to OfficeMax and have them print this task. ...Jim Thompson

Old HP cartridges had hacks and required shorting of pins on the cartridge, etc.

Don't know if there is on the newer cart. systems, but if there is a search will find it.

That is how I found reset info on the old B size printer I have.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

rint,

This is precisely why I am no longer interested in using inkjet printers.

Too expensive, and when you need it most, the damn things don't work. I now have only laser printers and a USB dot matrix (for continuous forms). I do have an HP all in one (for which they STILL owe me a $100 rebate check= , the damn bastards) but it too is such a major piece of unsellable shit, t= hat I only use it as a scanner. And even in that case, the HP Photosmart s= oftware drivers it came with are barely tolerable.

I will pay a Tibetan monk to inscribe my documents on a grain of rice, incl= uding his first class air fare, before I will buy another HP inkjet anythin= g.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

(...)

My 3n1 HP did that too, but it had a selection named "print anyway" That worked just fine. Perhaps yours does as well?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

I found the following here:

JW - 11/15/2010 at 05:29

"21 I ran your hpfix.exe patch for my K850 printer, and though it found and modified the driver file, it did not change =93SET TIMESTAMP=94 to =93SET TIMESTAMX=94 as in your notes=85it changed another byte in a very different location. Thankfully, your [R]estore option worked to put things back the way they were. Then I used a binary editor on the same driver file (Hpz3r42i.dll), and manually changed =93@PJL SET TIMESTAMP=94 to =93@PJL SET TIMESTAMX=94 as in your notes, restarted, and now it works fine =97 no more ink expiration errors! Thanks! [HP tech. support & mgmt. was absolutely a waste of time on this -- no respect for even good customers. Will avoid all HP in future.]"

Apparently the complicated fix didn't work but editing the timestamp file does.

Worst case, if it goes sideways on you, you can always use the "Restore" option, but you're back to square one.

Some claim that you can power down and disconnect the printer, reset your PC clock, then reconnect and turn on the printer to fool it into thinking the cartridges are younger than they really are.

I have not tried any of these tricks; I quit using HP printers a couple of years ago.

Good luck!

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

The HP chips in the cartridge don't look at computer time, only pico drops dispensed. You can hack that but you still need to put ink in them.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

This is precisely why I am no longer interested in using inkjet printers.

Too expensive, and when you need it most, the damn things don't work. I now have only laser printers and a USB dot matrix (for continuous forms). I do have an HP all in one (for which they STILL owe me a $100 rebate check, the damn bastards) but it too is such a major piece of unsellable shit, that I only use it as a scanner. And even in that case, the HP Photosmart software drivers it came with are barely tolerable.

I will pay a Tibetan monk to inscribe my documents on a grain of rice, including his first class air fare, before I will buy another HP inkjet anything.

-mpm

Check that the CCFL turns off when you are not scanning. All the all-in-one HP units always kept the CCFL lit when not in use and the lamp life of the non-repairable scanner would just get it out of warranty. Always unplug it when not in use.

HP inkjets and scanners really suck.

tm

Reply to
tm

That seems to work on mine, (an HP PSC2210), though it does takes a while t= o turn off after a scan. My biggest complaint is that the installer is jun= k. It installed itself 11 times under XP. I now have 11 scanners to pick = from, and if I ever select the "wrong" one in the list, it will re-install = itself all over again. And then of course, all the other duplicates in the= list no longer work. What's worse, short of hacking the registry, there d= oesn't seem to be any way to remove them from the list of scanners/printers= . Basically, the uninstaller doesn't work either.

I found several extremely complicated write-ups on this problem by others, = some reporting success. But until HP pays me to do their debugging, or at = least pays me the $100 rebate they owe me for this printer, they can shove = it.

Warning to all: Avoid the PSC2210 All-in-One. I'm sure it's out of produc= tion by now. What a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. Total crap.

Reply to
mpm

I read up on this issue once and saw that there had been some interesting legal skirmishes.

One company that made and sold a way to bypass the printer maker supply scam got in trouble for reverse engineeering under DMCA.

Then one or two US states FOUGHT BACK by passing laws requiring that printer cartridges MUST be refillable BY THE CONSUMER as a landfill or recycling issue.

It actually seems like the whole computer printer market has been in a slump because so many consumers are so ticked off about this in/toner proprietary cartridge scam.

I'd like to see the whole ink/toner proprietary supplies scam come to a halt.

Standardized cartridges that are designed to be refilled would cut down on massive waste in landfills, both for the machines and the supply cartridges.

What standards organization would have to design a few basic standardized cartridges for something like that to work?

EIA? JEDEC? or what?

Reply to
Greegor

Hold POWER while pounding on the Paper Feed button 3 times. That is rumored to work on the OfficeJet Pro K850. However, I've never actually tried it.

If that fails, toss the piece of junk and buy a real laser printer.

11x17 large format laser printers are not commodity items, but are available (used) for tolerable prices. Some copiers also will do 11x17 and can also print via USB or preferably ethernet.

Look at the HP LaserJet 5200dtn (dtn = Double sided, 2nd Tray, Network) for about $700 used on eBay.

For 8.5x11, I like the HP LaserJet 2300dtn for about $250 used on eBay.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

turn off after a scan. My biggest complaint is that the installer is junk. It installed itself 11 times under XP. I now have 11 scanners to pick from, and if I ever select the "wrong" one in the list, it will re-install itself all over again. And then of course, all the other duplicates in the list no longer work. What's worse, short of hacking the registry, there doesn't seem to be any way to remove them from the list of scanners/printers. Basically, the uninstaller doesn't work either.

some reporting success. But until HP pays me to do their debugging, or at least pays me the $100 rebate they owe me for this printer, they can shove it.

production by now.

Uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller to clean up the multiple entries. Then do a fresh install.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Try the following: take them out as if you were going to put new ones in. Then put them back in and lie,saying you put new ones in. This works on some of the "older" HP & Lexmart printers.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Agreed. I've three Xerox 5400 laser printers, which will do 11x17 full bleed easily. Their prices on the used market is very good, and the toner cartridges are very long life (20K images.) As well, they do (with a simple upgrade) full duplex for double sided work--we do our instruction sheets on one of these (hundreds at a time) and the results are great.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

I've had bad experience with ink-jets that are infrequently used. I'd print something, and a month (or more) later I'd want to print the next thing and the heads were clogged. A few years back I gave up an bought a cheap laser (Brother HL-1440). Couldn't be happier... but of course it won't do color.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v6.02 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Some of the older ones could only store two carts code in memory. If you had three and rotated the first would look like a new one.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Epson is no better, IME (I have a wide carriage 1280 collecting dust).

For color I have a cheap Samsung color laser that I use _only_ for the occasional one-off* color print (still on the original cartridges, and the entire printer will be discarded when the first cartridge is empty- it's been three or four years so far).

A deal on last years model of color tabloid (11" x 17") printer might be approaching as low as ~$2K these days, but sets of cartridges are very pricey and they are enormous heavy boxes, and I'm not sure I would want to dedicate that much space to something that only prints a few dozen pages a year.

  • when I needed lots of copies, I went to Kinko's (Fedex Office now) up the street and they did them for a reasonabe price.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I had an extra satisfying moment this morning. I took the HP inkjet printer to the waste disposal depot. Inkjet is total crap if you don't use it everyday. And if you print everyday then laser is cheaper. I got a nice all in one laser printer (B&W) from HP.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Thanks, Jeff! I'll try that.

I have a P2015dn that keeps happily plugging along... fingers crossed :-) ...Jim Thompson

I have a P2015dn laser that still works nicely... the K850 was for occasional 11"x17" drawings for me, but mostly color stuff for Girl Scouts, which my wife no longer needs, so I may just toss the dude and get the occasional color need done at OfficeMax or Staples. ...Jim Thompson

I use those for cash registers and invoice printing. They're not the best available but they do work. About 3000 pages per cartridge with a conservative refill.

I've seen some electronics failures on the PCB and some gouged fuser roller problems.

I use a hot air desoldering station and IR thermometer instead of an oven. Same problem with all HP products that use large size BGA chips.

When it paper jams (it will eventually), replace the pickup roller and seperation pad. Clean out the toner crud with a compressed air hose.

This is the main reason I like (some) HP printers. They *CAN* be repaired, and parts are commonly available: