hello NASA, using the old junk box?

They look a lot like a TO-5 transistor when they are plugged into a recessed socket. It was fun to watch the know it alls touch one and find out just how hot they got in normal operation. You just can't tell some people anything! ;-)

BTW it would have been interesting if someone had built a nuvistor version of the Philbrick K2-W series tube op-amps. They would have been a lot smaller.

I'll bet you don't have this data sheet in your collection. :)

Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hey people, lighten up - the thing takes off, the thing lands - most of the time. And every now and then it stuff up - so does everything else.

If you want to have a huge intellectual engineering type argument about every last nut/bolt/transistor , then usually NOTHING gets done. Except get in the way of the up/down cycle the thing is supposed to do.

GO FOR IT - offer me a ride (including the suspect transistor and the chance the wings might fall off) and I couldnt CARE about less about it , or anything else - I will take it!

73 de VK3BFA Andrew.
Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Zenered on high differential inputs

Had latchup modes, especially in follower config

Popcorn noise, usually

Needed external compensation components

Noisy

High bias current

No output short-circuit protection

Class B output; crossover distortion

High supply current

Rotten slew rate

Metal can hot to V-

Pretty good for its time, though.

John

Lose the compensation and they got just as hot as Michael's Nuvistor. ;-) ...found out the hard way.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Impressively sucky DC performance. 5mV/day drift. The old 709 probably wouldn't drift 5uV over its entire life (at fixed temperature).

Better Ib than a 709 though. You could practically light up an LED with the bias current flowing into that thing.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That tube Op-amp was around for several years before the 709.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I converted a ARN-6 Direction Finding Receiver to solid state with surplus FETs in the early '70s. It required 24 volts at 28 amps, DC before the conversion. The entire radio, except the AF output amp would run for weeks on a single 9 volt battery, and it was connected to the homebrew signal tracer on my work bench. The radio was WW-II vintage, and the signal tracer was usable from the output of a tape head, to a

100 volt speaker line with a 10 dB per step rotary attenuator. It was handy when looking to see which stage of a PA or guitar amp was defective without dragging a scope along and having to look away while you had your hand in a 500 VDC circuit.
--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, but it was the only game in town. I only posted the link because it is a piece of electronics history, and I happen to have a couple of them in my collection of oddball components. Can you imagine a 24 channel audio console with graphic equalizers built with of them? It would take two or three six foot relay racks! ;-)

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, but it would swing +-100 volts or so.

John

Yup. . .

Yup. I remember that. . .

Yup. I remember them in 1A1 (2-channel, 50MHz !) and 26A1 (vacuum tube-based op-amp) plug-ins.

Reply to
JeffM