hello NASA, using the old junk box?

Strange, I thought NASA was the organisation that hit a comet travelling umpteen thousands of miles an hour exactly where they wanted to when they wanted to, as opposed to the military here who can't even hit a missile travelling a few thousand miles an hour right here in their backyard half the time.

Reply to
Morituri-|-Max

We can hope.

Reply to
Morituri-|-Max

When I worked on the spaceborne "black box" data recorder for the Shuttle, one goal was to limit the multi-pin connector (certified for thousands of connect/disconnect cycles) to exactly two connects and two disconnects. Why? Because we could, and it reduces the chance of damage slightly. We did this:

("-->>--" is a connector)

A B C TEST SET-->>-->>-->>--RECORDER

A B C SHUTTLE-->>-->>-->>--RECORDER

By always connecting/disconnecting B, we could almost always limit A and C to two connects and two disconnects.

Remember the Shuttle O-Ring? I was part of the team that made the system that tested them for flaws. Alas, the joint designers allowed the O-Rings to see conditions that were out of spec; our temerature limits did not allow direct contact between the O-ring and the flame from a solid-fuel booster rocket. :(

Reply to
Guy Macon

Now I know who to thank for ordering a redesign of the 17 inch disconnect for the external fuel tank. I made a lot of money on that one. Not that it was wasted, though; the 17" disconnect is one of the places where there is no redundancy - a failure to close will bring down a shuttle.

Reply to
Guy Macon

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:06:33 GMT) it happened "Morituri-|-Max" wrote in :

Same government it is!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:20:35 +0000) it happened Guy Macon wrote in :

You are supposed to hit

And *I* never crashed a space shuttle. Website is a good place to start on the journey of knowing yourself. You have only limited time.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:20:35 +0000) it happened Guy Macon wrote in :

No idiot, I did not write that. You cannot even read a posting it seems.

And you do all the things you mention above. But you do not work for NASA.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:08:50 GMT) it happened "Morituri-|-Max" wrote in :

You are using the royal 'we', however you are only one moron, unless you just had the brain split. Oh, not possible, needs at least 2 neurons :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I gave a link to the place I intended to.

Neither did I. Are you really this stupid, or is it an act?

Reply to
Guy Macon

Case in point.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Hmm, let me see,have I got this right?

1) NASA or the contractor spent zillions on testing systems, and they couldn't do a redundant PSU test properly. I hate to think what the other test were like. 2) "fastest space qualification ever" So why did everything else take so long?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Watch this, uh, space.

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:17:06 +0000) it happened Guy Macon wrote in :

So did I.

Who is stupid here, you talk no physics, no astro and not electronics related, Try /dev/zero

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'm not sure that they *have* to but sure, light aircraft engines are the last bastion of the magneto.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:18:21 +0000) it happened Guy Macon wrote in :

EDUCATION:

EDUCATION: I am self taught; I started as an assembler and worked my way up to technician, then engineer. I do not have a degree, but I do have over twenty years of experience and a proven record of accomplishment in the area of product development. It shows. You need a shave.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

First of all, they knew the path of the comet. Second of all, it tooks years to achieve this. Much harder to do it in say, a half minute window.

Back in the 50's I think it was, the Army claimed they hit the moon with a ball bearing shot from a Redstone Rocket or something to that effect. I don't think there was such a thing as a uP then. toobs, maybe?

Al

Reply to
Al

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:42:27 GMT) it happened Al wrote in :

There were little metal toobs, 'nuvistor??? ah here:

But that was end fifties. There were other small tubes too, before the transistor. The name 'nuvistor' sort of looks like it was a last attempt to challenge the first transistors (1958 was it these came?). But of cause mechanical gyroscopes were there long before, also in the V2 in WW2. I have seen nuvistors used only once IIRC, typical application was preamp in a capacitor microphone.... These mikes were big and still around in the sixties.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

between

expenses

happened

"A couple of thousand......." Um, yeah. Like you have a clue about it.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I am guessing a $1000 redesign will probably take 10 years and millions of dollars to test and certify .... Well it would if you use the software testers I used to work with....

Reply to
The Real Andy

Wouldn't it also have to be specifically space certified, and hence tested against long term radiation exposure? Also, I would have thought that the repeated acceleration (G force) testing of a space certified part would be have to be far more extensive. $250k as a conservative starting point looks about right.

Reply to
Peter Webb