hello NASA, using the old junk box?

Which is why they continue to use junk parts. Too expensive to replace with something that works reliably on account of the paperwork.

That's why light aviation aircraft still use carburettors with their attendant intake icing and falling out of the sky problems when a simple replacement with fuel injection would fix the problem. It's too expensive to certify the safer solution often.

Graahm

Reply to
Pooh Bear

[snipped]

I'm not sure, but don't light aircraft engines have to run without battery power.

Graham H

Reply to
Graham Holloway

Obviously not a very good one if you can come out with crap like you posted.

*sigh* it's not the cost of the part. Just how many FMEACAs and certification processes have you been through?

How expensive would it be to put an IC through a full FMEACA? It'd take years. I use to be a design engineer working on Safety Critical System (Level 4), it's damned expensive to just replace a part

Says he who is talking out of his arse

Reply to
Martin

Not really. You forgot the organization. This is not a backyard-bang-together, or is it ? A redesign of a controller board controlling whatever (say 3 transistors for a gaz valve) costs :

-some hours to justify replacement, some calculations : 2k$

-some meetings to propagate the projects up the ladder : 1k$

-a new board, with parts : 2k$

-a new test procedure, including meetings : 10k$

-a new test setup, with calibrations : 50k$

-setup production to have a few on stock : 10k$

-documentation for the various levels of insight : 10k$

Even with arbitrary numbers, 100k$ are quickly reached in a sufficiently big organization.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

That is just so depressing

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:44:31 +0100) it happened Martin wrote in :

So they fired you, OK, too expensive ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 05 08:43:17 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in :

You did not happen to design the one with one transistor in my old Nissan? It fell apart in 2 pieces, likely because of vibraton, as the pieces were 2 PC boards at 90 degrees held together by solder... That broke the circuit, so the gaz was cut..... I am talking about LPG (liquid natural gas). If it had stayed open, and the car was parked in a parking lot under a big gov building, it would have been terrosism. I did not see anything in the circuit as a second safety against for example a shorted transistor (driving the relay). So..... Normally it is supposed to open the valve ONLY when pulses from the ignition are available (motor turning). Oh well.... It was certified I am sure ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

still

(Today,

single

came

functions,

or

IBM think pads are used for the Canadarm. Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

[snip]

So, use mechanical fuel injection.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Power corrupts. And atomic power corrupts atomically.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
[snip]

And what grand advancement of science have you made in your whole lifetime?

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (14 Jul 2005 05:24:15 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com wrote in :

That would be a case, but then you never heard of xtal oscillators. And simple RC transistor mvb designs, like the one a beginner like you uses, should not depend on the transistor specs that much that is changes. Most components will NOT have an effect on frequency, especially not in a junction box hehe. Nuf said.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:42:47 +0200) it happened "Frithiof Andreas Jensen" wrote in :

Wait till after lauch and landing of all REMAINING shuttles, they need a new design, likely foreing engineers will have to be brought in again, as in times of Von Braun.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

They're used for pretty much all the "housekeeping" chores on the shuttle and ISS. They don't do any functions necessary for life and are shut down and stowed on launch and reentry.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Lawn mowers still have magnetos. There is some sort of "electronical" thingy in there (mine keeps burning out), but it's still a magnet on the flywheel winging by a coil.

--
  Keith
Reply to

-- -john wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~ Maybe I should ask Radio Shack. They claim they've got answers; but frankly, if Radio Shack were our provider, we'd _really_ be in trouble now, wouldn't we? ~~~~~~~~

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Another ignoramus talking out of his butt.

Reply to
Martin

"Jan Panteltje" skrev i en meddelelse news:1121330253.cbbadad49191c0a4ea4827b0c838c237@teranews...

Go ahead then, build a couple - although I would wager that getting the qualified parts *samples* for QA would be "a couple of thousands" and that is before you even started on the real units.

I am sure that NASA does not worry about that!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

And KNOVING THIS people STILL wonder why we are getting whupped by the Asian competition!!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Try working for Mattel, then. Two weeks from the moment the engineer sits down and starts doing the redesign to the moment when the factory in China starts shipping the new design instead of the old.

In the case where whatever was wrong with the old design stopped production, the Chinese can usually do a redesign that gets the production line running in a day or two and will run that until the US redesign is ready.

Needless to say, Mattel is not NASA or even Sony. It is a special case where quality is far, far less important than cost or speed. Six to nine months is far more typical outside of the toy industry.

Reply to
Guy Macon