Heatsinking electrically 'hot' nodes, SMD

No, he's copying a layout that corresponds to another sheet (or whatever) in a schematic. IOW, he has two channels of a widget and wants them laid out the same. You pick the physical representation and copy it. The problem then becomes rationalizing the reference designators and net names.

*BAD* plan. You don't want the layout tool changing net names. *EVER*.

Horrible process. The design should be driven from the schematic, not the other way.

Ick! Remind me not to use that crap!

Reply to
krw

Den torsdag den 12. marts 2015 kl. 01.27.51 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com:

I said it was a hack, The process is horrible but you end up with the same end result; a block that is duplicate in both layout and schematic and passes ERC

the only alternative is to copy in the schematic and do the same layout multiple times by hand

Eagle may have added a proper hierarchal schematic and layout, haven't used it for while

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Am 11.03.2015 um 16:16 schrieb John Larkin:

In Altium Designer, they have that feature for quite some years; in fact it took a few years to iron out the minor mistakes. You can control the way the net and component names are constructed. It uses the room feature that helps keeping things together that belong together. You typically write a repeat statement when you call up a subsheet; maybe it works for non-hierarchies, too, but I have never tried it. Repeating a subcircuit is a classical case of using hierarchy IMNSHO. The blocks are expanded when you transfer the design to layout.

I have used it in the design of the ultra low noise amplifier I posted in the OpAmp thread 2 days ago. There are 10 incarnations of a

2-opamp preamplifier. I did laid out one room and copied the layout to the 9 others. Then I arranged the rooms in 2 columns of 5.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

No, you don't end up with the same result. A schematic is more than a fancy netlist.

Perhaps with those garbage tools.

It can be done with flat schematics, too. A decent tool will do it.

Reply to
krw

Den torsdag den 12. marts 2015 kl. 03.21.05 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com:

so you never copy-paste a block of components and connections in a schematic?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Good Lord, you're dense. The issue is *not* the schematic, rather the

*LAYOUT*.
Reply to
krw

Den fredag den 13. marts 2015 kl. 00.19.18 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com:

and the end result is a schematic and a layout with a blocks of components duplicated several times with the correct designators and netnames correctly connected

just as if you had copy-pasted in schematic and by hand redone the layout for each block

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You really are dense. The question is not how to make a bunch of copies of a circuit but how to make them identical.

Oh, good grief!

Reply to
krw

and that is exactly what you get, identical layout of identical schematic blocks