OT: Structural Question

OT: Structural Question...

Hanging a 49" flat-screen TV outside on the patio,

Problem: There is 1-1/2" of stucco and insulating foam before I get to a stud to screw lag bolts into.

Suggestions on how to beef that up? Set weighs 26# with 12-20" of "lever" :-(

Maybe sleeves on the lag bolts for 1-1/2" ?? ...Jim Thompson

Den mandag den 9. marts 2015 kl. 00.25.40 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

hole saw and plywood to make "washers", same hole saw to cut a hole through the stucco and foam so the "Washers" can rest on the stud

unless you are lucky and all the holes the tv mount line up with studs, maybe a square piece of plywood to distribute the load

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Interesting idea, Lasse!

Fortunately I know exactly where the stud is because the electricians placed the power outlet on one side of the stud and the Coax box on the other side.

Maybe just take a piece of 2" x 2" (actually lumber with finished dimensions of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2) drilled with the proper hole spacing... and just chisel out the stucco and foam? ...Jim Thompson

2x2s are pretty flexible. I'd worry about sag, after some time. Water could also be a problem. I like Lasse's idea much better. The plywood should be either treated or, better, marine grade ply. The marine ply would probably look better.
Reply to
krw

Sounds like he has EIFS, which means it is technical. He should hire a bonded EIFS sub/installer contractor who's been in business awhile. The operative word is bonded.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Cedar or redwood washers behind a unistrut/superstrut rail. Or, two rails. If the set is circa 40" wide, you should be able to screw the rails into three studs, two screws each stud If the insulation/stucco might crush under the stress, .

I only suggest the washers so that water can drain around the rails, because this is "outside". If it were at my place, I'd put the TV on a rolling stand, and view it through the big glass doors. Me outside, TV inside. There's universal remotes with UHF, and UHF receiver/IR blaster adapters, so you can operate the set through the glass and in sunlight.

Reply to
whit3rd

Mount a rectangle of 5/8" marine plywood or 3/4" hardwood across two studs, but angle the lag bolts 15 degrees upwards into the studs.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That sounds reasonable. The plywood will spread the force preventing it from crushing the foam.

But, when JT says 20" of lever, does that mean the set is not flat on the wall, but on an arm 20" from the wall? I think that could be very bad. I can't say how strong the stucco and foam are, but I think I would either make the wood tall to spread the torsion over a long area with a lot of lever arm or just punt and place the set a piece of furniture. A nice piece of plywood can be stained and trimmed to look attractive. Perhaps make a boxed frame of sorts. Using thick pieces for the trim can make it a lot stronger too.

--

Rick
Reply to

Patio under roof. Insulation/stucco "crush", that why the spacers/bushings/plywood "washers" ala Lasse.

Water? What's that ?>;-} ...Jim Thompson

How about some of the screws that have lag on one end and threaded to accept a nut on the other. Say 5 " long, 1-1/2" through stucco, 2" into

2x4, that leaves 1-1/2" sticking out, now put a nut flush with the wall then a large washer. Cut a piece of 3/4" plywood in whatever size you need, say 20" x 12', covers two studs and 12" is wide enough for the mount. Drill holes in the plywood so you can place it over the, say 4 studs you have mounted in the wall, place another large washer over the plywood and add a nut. I'd us at least 3/8" lag/threads bolt. With the plywood tightened between the nuts, it makes it very difficult for it to sag. If you are trying to mount it to a single stud, I'd suggest iron with lips, for strength.

If I didn't describe it well, here's a partial drawing.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

maybe hanger bolts, you could put a nut behind the bracket instead of using sleeves.

another possiblily is a long screw at an angle to take the weight eg: a 3" or 4" #8 chipboard screw at a 45 degree angle, (upwards) drill the stucco (and drill a pilot in frame if hardwood), lube with liquid nails or caulk

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Uh, outdoors where there is potential of water intrusion, I agree that 'up' angle is best, but if in dry/protected area, isn't 'down' angle better? Viewed from the side, thre's a natural 'hook' formed.

Reply to
RobertMacy

The bolt will survive the weather better than the TV will.

Up is better because it hangs the board against the wall material in a way that any yield in the wall produces less movement of the board with an increase in tension and little increase in side loading angle on the bolts. That is, they operate mainly in tension not in shear.

Make sure they're long enough to still hang in there after they rust a little and the wood rots a little, and put some grease or tar into the hold before screwing them in, against that.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

A couple of pieces of timber from the TV bottom edge to ground to support the weight would make life easier.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Yes, that seems a sound approach. Then the wall attachment is just enough bracing to take wind loads; one or two eye screws into the studs, eyes looking up at the sky, and U-channel secured to the set. Drill the U channel so you drop a pin (clevis, hinge pin, big spike nail...) through the channel/eye/channel holes. If/when the TV is removed, there's just a couple of eyes showing (or two small stucco holes).

Reply to
whit3rd

Use a TV stand and bolt the base into your precious porch floor:

There are other taller pricier models.

EIFS is prone to moisture related failures, probably costing the insurance industry over a $1B minimum in the past decade, the stuff has a history. If your whole wall goes because you compromised the envelope with clueless/no nexistent flashing and/or stress fractures, and incompatible materials, you pay the bill. Gonna cost way more than a TV stand.

Hoping you don't see this advice .

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

e industry over a $1B minimum in the past decade, the stuff has a history. If your whole wall goes because you compromised the envelope with clueless/ nonexistent flashing and/or stress fractures, and incompatible materials, y ou pay the bill. Gonna cost way more than a TV stand.

he's in Arizona I doubt moisture related failure is a big issue unless he d rills into a water pipe

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Bloggs is our resident nutcase. ...Jim Thompson

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 5:11:05 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wr ote:

l.com:

nce industry over a $1B minimum in the past decade, the stuff has a history . If your whole wall goes because you compromised the envelope with clueles s/nonexistent flashing and/or stress fractures, and incompatible materials, you pay the bill. Gonna cost way more than a TV stand.

drills

Run a search on EIFS stucco problems in Arizona before you get sarcastic on a hunch. Apparently it has the same problems as everywhere else, it just t akes longer. In the meantime, toxic mold rears its ugly head a few years pr ior to the structural wall disintegration becoming obvious.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

il.com:

ance industry over a $1B minimum in the past decade, the stuff has a histor y. If your whole wall goes because you compromised the envelope with cluele ss/nonexistent flashing and/or stress fractures, and incompatible materials , you pay the bill. Gonna cost way more than a TV stand.

e drills

You're the maniac who bought into EIFS, not me.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred