Hot plate for SMD rework

I was at a friends place that makes hot plates and big ovens for SMD work. We took a piece of aluminum that was a little larger the the chip I wanted to remove. Then then put flux all over the chip and put the bottom of the board over the metal aluminum square and put it on the hot place. Heated to

200 and the chip just slid off. Very clean no pulled up pads no scorching on the underside of the board. What am I missing here. It seems to work. Is there a drawback to removing and applying chips with this method? I didn't try remounting chips but that is next. No hot air or or pre heating. You can mount a stero microscope above it and not be in the way of the hot air gun. Anyone do this like this?
Reply to
Russ