HOT HOT HOT - Battery

I was testing out an old 10A 12V auto battery charger. I had just replaced the nearly dead AA Alkaline batteries in my LED flashlight. Just for grins, I connected the battery charger to one of those AA batteries.

Holy shit, in seconds that battery was so hot it burned my fingers. Thats when the reset button kicked off on the battery charger. Since that charger is rated at 10A, that 1.5V AA battery must have been pulling the entire 10A load.

Maybe it's good that reset tripped, or that battery may have exploded.

At least I know the charger works.....

Reply to
oldschool

Reading this I first thought that Skybuck might have gotten past my killfilter. You aren't his next alias, are you?

Reply to
Rob

How dare they presume tell you what to do with YOUR battery charger. So the voltage was a little off.

Next get a 1,000 uF/35 volt lytic and try direst AC 120 to it and hold on tight. Fuck that battery power, it is just there to cut it down ! Who wants that ?

Oh, BTW we want pictures so have someone around with working hands around. Right before you connect it up, tell that person "Y'all watch this".

Reply to
jurb6006

A rather dumb thing to do. Boiling caustic electrolyte will burn skin and blind you if it gets in your eyes.

A fresh AA alkaline cell will comfortably deliver 10A into a dead short load but get hot. My ancient DC-120 digital camera would often drew 2A peak load when it was recharging the flash and processing an image.

Battery life was never very good at that discharge rate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Hey while you are doing your research put your dick in the blender and let us know how it went :-)

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

No you don't.

--
Boris
Reply to

He proved that the short circuit protection works.

90% shorting is just as good as total shorting. 90% insanity is just as insane.
Reply to
edward.ming.lee