Happy Winter Solipstice to All

And December 20th is the shortest day of the year.

Which is the idiom of English, German, and Russian.

In French, Spanish, and Italian, it is the longest night of the year.

Go figure what is important to which culture.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

A very Anglo-Saxon proposition, if I may say so. As if the French Spanish and Italians had the self-restraint to restrict their sexual activities to the hours between sunset and sunrise. Why do you think the Spanish invented the siesta?

----------------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Must be a long line...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Today is the feast day of St. Solipsus, the Patron Saint of solipsists, and as vice- chairman of The Solipsist Society, it is my pleasure to wish each and every one of you a very happy Solipstice.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Maybe the English, German, and Russians like to drink, and the French, Spanish, and Italians line to "make love".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nice of me to wish ourself a happy holiday. Vice-chairman, I like that. I presume we're also the chairman and the leader of the Loyal Opposition?

Cheers

You

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ROFL!

Happy Solipstice!

Cheers! Rich

Oh, and happy Solstice too, which is scheduled for about two hours from now. :-)

And it's almost 70F in Whittier, at 8:56AM PST. :-)

Cheers again! Me

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, I didn't need the wet mackerel in the face, but thanks! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

I thought the Mexicans had the Siesta due to the hard work in the hot weather...

Reply to
Robert Baer

What did I just think?

Oh, that. Yes, I'm also in the Solipsist Workers' Party (Marxist-Leninist).

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Nah, it's endemic post-prandial abdominal distension. (i.e., after-lunch lethargy.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The thing that impressed me about my Mexican friends, was, yes they'd take their siesta, but then they'd come back and work until 7pm. And they still had a considerable commute.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

In So. Cal., once someone recommended to me, if you've got a really nasty grunt job that's just sweaty toil, but sweaty toil that can be done quickly with the application of brawn, that you should hire two that are brothers, because they'll try to outdo each other in performance. ("They're really competitive!")

I don't know if that's specifically true, but the two guys (kids really, barely 20) I hired to move my furniture busted their asses. Figuratively, of course, One guy barked his knuckle, but turned down first aid and wrapped his own hanky around his hand.

And they cooperated good on getting the heavy crap up the stairs by hand. (poor English grammar intentional, just because it felt like the right thing to say just here, now.) :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

21st was St. Lucy's day, according to Donne.
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d" - William Blake
Reply to

I was in Mexico last week and met some chap on a coach that commuted to work 6hrs each-way every day! I can but hope it was worth his while. :-/