Frequency display off center

I have a Kyocera R451 receiver that when it's tuned to maximum signal and gets stereo, the display readout is .1 meg high

ie....

107.9 shows as 108.0

There are (2) HA11225 FM chips on the pcb and a number of tunable parts surrounding the chips but is this probably a microcontroller problem?

Is there anything regarding the HA11225 chips that will get this back on center and read right?

Thanks very much.

Reply to
Michael

I would suggest that the demodulator tank is slightly off tune, so when you are tuned for maximum signal and stereo resolution, you are actually slightly off tune. Set the radio to read the correct frequency, then slightly adjust the demodulator coil, using ONLY an appropriate brass or plastic trim tool, NOT a screwdriver, until you have correctly resolved stereo, without distortion. This should correspond to maximum signal indication.

If your demodulator is tuned to either side of the centre position on the S slope, you will get exactly the symptoms you describe. The demodulator coil will be right by the side of the IF subsystem / demodulator IC.

Rarely, similar symptoms can be caused by the IF strip being misaligned, but in most modern kit, the IF filtering is carried out by ceramic resonators, and it is very rare for these to drift off spec.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The best way to keep the steaks and wine coming... don't gloat, and look solemn like it was a difficult task ;-)

...Jim Thompson

"Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956

Before you make any adjustments, you might check to see if the receiver isn't set to Euro tuning, that is, it tunes in 0.1 MHz steps instead of 0.2 MHz steps, as in the US. A close friend kept complaining that his FM rcvr was acting strangely, wouldn't tune the stations in correctly, lots of distortion even on strong stations, etc. When he finally bribed me with steaks and wine, I had to accept his pleas to see what was wrong. Turns out that his receiver was indeed set to Euro tuning, and he didn't know that the US stations were spaced 0.2 MHz apart. Setting the receiver to tune to US channel spacing fixed his problem. I felt bad that it was so simple, but I ate the steaks and wine anyway {:>)

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

LMAO!!! yeah, like he didn't see me grinning ear to ear when I showed him what the problem was...

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in
the address)

DaveM

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Thanks.

I'll look at the demodulator.

It's a 120v rcvr so I doubt if it's Euro tuning although I'll see if it adapts to 230....there may be a switch or jumper in the tuner section also someone moved by mistake.

Reply to
Michael

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Does nobody read the whole thread these days, before posting replies that duplicate what others have already said ? Also, top posting makes it hard for people to follow threads, and leads to replies getting missed.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily