Guess what I found

You really aren't very bright. No surprise to anyone.

Reply to
krw

0
Reply to
krw

--
That can't be right, since 1/7 isn't equal to zero in any radix.
Reply to

Are you even capable of working it out yourself? You haven't given any hint that you are.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen Belleman

it is if you can only represent integers, which is usually the default for Hex

otherwise you'll need more info, do you want Q15 format? IEEE754? single pr ecision? double precision?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You're always wrong. Try it.

Reply to
krw

No, all they have to do is show the decimal/hex/binary point. There are calculators that work correctly. They're few and far between, though.

Reply to
krw

0x471C71C7 using the fixed point representation I normally use

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

One would normally put a hexadecimal point between two digits. In your representation, it's after the first *bit*. Applying the same rules as for the common decimal format, Bill's result is the right representation.

I couldn't find any hex calculators that would accept such numbers as input, although some happily print it as output.

Odd.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen Belleman

John's representation is quite useful for FPGA development. I needed it for some early filter verification. Any representation would have been better than the wrong answer but I would have preferred integer16.fraction16 format. Couldn't find an otherwise decent calculator that would do any binary fractions.

Reply to
krw

My HP-25 was my heart and soul for many years. I solved lots of problems with it both as a programmable device and as an electronic slide rule. I still have it and will never part with it. A majestic piece of hardware. And it's pretty.

Reply to
John S

snip

Maybe this guy's utility does it...

One of my first paid for iPad apps.

Wolfram Alpha.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My first was a Commodore SR6120R. It had an LED mantissa. With all 8s in both memory registers (including non-mantissa visible positions) and all

8s in the main mantissa (times ten to the negative 88th), it used about 800 mA of current from the battery. OMG! With only 1s in every location, it used about 170 mA.

Since I was taking electronics when they let us switch from slide rules to calculators, I noticed little stuff like that. Of course the need to have the charger / AC power supply with me became quickly evident. We are talking 1976 here. Getting a power plug in the classroom was not something they were ready to provide against the need for.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Another vote for it, but it is quite power-hungry. The batteries run out pretty quickly, probably due to the LED displays.

--

-TV
Reply to

Is that signed fractional notation?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'm probably not visualizing the problem very well, but would zebra strip work?

Does anyone still make zebra strip?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Zebra strip will work, but only if there's additional vertical height for the zerbra strip and some kind of bracket to compress the connection. I don't think there's room or an easy way to add a compression bracket.

They're still made by Fuji Polymers:

I've had no luck finding the 3M conductive sticky tape mostly because I don't know the magic search buzzwords.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yes. I left it plugged into the charger when doing lengthy designs.

Reply to
John S

Try it. I don't have an iPad (though do have an iPod but am not about to pay for an app for it).

Reply to
krw

I don't use the programmability thing in calculators, so the feature just clutters up the keypad for me. If I need to do programmable math, I write a PowerBasic program. It can do file i/o, have comments and menus and help, and the .exe file can be run on any PC. And it can run maybe 10000x as fast as a calculator, which occasionally matters.