Treasures I've found.

Clouds appear and bring to men a chance to rest from looking at the moon.

My grumbling wife - if only she were here! This moon tonight...

I kill an ant and realize my three children have been watching.

First autumn morning: the mirror I stare into shows my father's face.

You rice-field maidens! The only things not muddy Are the songs you sing.

I want to sleep Swat the flies Softly, please.

After killing a spider, how lonely I feel in the cold of night!

For love and for hate I swat a fly and offer it to an ant.

Night; and once again, the while I wait for you, cold wind turns into rain.

The summer river: although there is a bridge, my horse goes through the water.

--
JF
Reply to

I did a haiku once. We were having burgers and beer and the waitress started talking about Spam haikus, so I wrote this for her on a napkin:

Armies march to war: Battles rage from dawn to dusk; Rest, and Spam again.

I wrote a poem once, too.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

To convey ones's mood In seventeen syllables Is very diffi

(John Cooper Clarke)

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

--
Ugh.
Reply to

So, write a better Spam haiku, or any haiku, instead of posting off-topic stuff that you kited without attribution.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Aha! The setup... ...Jim Thompson

(...)

Argh. No rhyme. Some comments on rhyme.

I wrote the following long ago as part of a design review.

You lacketh the rhythm. Your words do not rhyme. Your indents a czism. Your meter a crime.

Your words for the sewer. The mind of a shrew. Your style like a butcher. The rubbish doth spew.

Your runtime is swollen, Your logic will fail. Your source code is stolen, you'll soon go to jail.

The programs while loading, just eats up the mips. You do your best coding, on controlled substance trips.

The standards you know not, you break all the rules. Your comments like dry rot, the wording of fools.

No testing to beware, the project's not done, When I try your junkware, it just will not run.

So do try to clean up, the mess that you made, For if you should screw up, You may not get paid.

I've also tried to write poetic owner and service manuals for various radios. I rationalized the poetry by noting that since nobody reads the manuals, nobody would notice and it shouldn't be a problem.

If only they would pay my time, to write the docs in verse and rhyme.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

--
Transparent asshole, isn't he?
Reply to

Asshole? Definitely! Transparent? No, I think Larkin's a sneaky devious asshole. ...Jim Thompson

Haiku doesn't have to rhyme,
but its three lines are bound by time.
Five syllables in one and three,
and in line 2, seven you see.
Reply to
John Fields

With all due respect to you. I never could fathom haiku. But if you don't mind, methinks that you'll find, that limericks are more fun to do.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

--
The meter's faulty.

try this:

>With all respect due unto you
>I never could fathom haiku.
>But if you don't mind,
>methinks that you'll find,
>that limericks are more fun to do.
Reply to
John Fields

Such drama for only one word. My pride is somewhat injured. But I must admit. It does seem to fit. Objecting seems rather absurd.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The meter is still just a tad off.

_^__^__^ _^__^__^ _^__^ _^__^ _^___^__^

If you elide the extra syllable in the word "limericks" to "lim-ricks", it works.

Or change the last line to:

"a limerick's more fun to do"

My first poems are from 1959, when I was 10 years old. Then I had another surge (including Haiku) in high school English class 1965, and more through my years in college through 1969:

Then I wrote quite a lot when I was "coming of age" in the early 70s:

Finally in 1996 I tried my hand at poetry once again (partly because I briefly dated a female poet), but they aren't especially good. Lost my mojo, I guess:

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Sigh: The first one pronounces it "lim-rick" which is also what I use. However, the other three use "lim-er-ick" which I presume is the Irish standard pronunciation. I guess you're 75% correct.

Ok, I stand corrected.

I never could get my various lady friends interested in my poetry. That's probably because I only write poetry when I'm irate, frustrated, failing, and angry. After fighting an unsolvable problem, it's a great "clear" button allowing me to restart without any baggage from the previous disaster.

It must be the Fourth of July. A rocket just flew closely by. It rattled my room, a very loud boom, and lit up much of the sky.

Gone to find which of the neighborhood brats are trying to burn down the forest.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

That's my new favorite haiku. It fills an empty slot since I don't have an old favorite haiku.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

Haiku are silly; maybe you should get back to posting recipes?

Reply to
rcmonsen