Guess what I found

I'll bet that's what happened to mine. I never had any problem with the switch when I was using it regularly. Thanks!

Reply to
krw

Give the HP Prime a look. I had the HP41 (died after years of abuse), and 2! HP-48's (of which I can't locate either one, but they gotta be here somewhere..?)

Anyway, got tired of looking and got the HP Prime. I stopped looking for the 48's. :)

Nice machine. IMO.

Reply to
mpm

"Monkey Snot" is communications tech slang for the tar like goo used to waterproof RF connectors. It's not conductive. I hate the stuff because it's almost impossible to remove and ruins the connector for cleaning, reuse, and repair. Hopefully, that's not the stuff you're suggesting.

That's probably a good place for me to start looking but I doubt that such a conductive tape will do anything other than short all the LCD contacts together. It would also need to be double sided tape so as to make contact between the LCD and ribbon cable. Incidentally, I've tried silver PCB "touch up" paint. It works, but is too viscous. One slip and I have an irreparable mess.

What methinks might work is a stencil, with holes in places where I need to make a connection. I use it exactly the same as a solder paste stencil for SMT parts except instead of solder paste, I use the magic conductive glue. Once I get the magic glue stuck to the glass, I remove the stencil, apply the ribbon cable, clamp, pray, and wait for it to dry. I suspect I'll only have one chance to get it right, which means I'll need to practice on a sacrificial LCD or microscope slide.

Thanks.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

--
"Somebody should" is consistent with your belief that you should be
running things, but at no risk to you.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

You're getting as crazy as Sloman.

Getting?

BTW, I agree that the new HP35 is awful but it's better than any other calculator for sale today.

Reply to
krw

Barf. I have an hp35s and it sucks. First, it has bugs that were never fixed. Note the 2007 date:

Mine has developed a bad case of intermittent keys. Oddly, it's not the keys that I usually use, but rather the ones that I don't use. Meanwhile, the buttons I do use have become obvious because the silk screened printing is slowly fading away.

One function that I used often is rectangular polar conversions. The ways it works, or rather doesn't work, sucks. Kinpo (the manufactory of the 35s) should have just copied what works just fine on earlier HP calculators.

I don't do much base conversion, but the few times I tried it soon turned into an ordeal. It can be done, but it takes far too many keystrokes.

On the other foot, it's one of the few cheap ($50) calculators that I can buy that offers RPN (revese Polish notation). That's sufficient to make me tolerate its problems.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The rest of the calculators on the market are worse.

Don't have either problem with mine.

Should have copied the whole damned thing, but... I liked the 10C even better (been thinking about buying one off ebay).

Agreed. Very few calculators have decent non-base10 arithmetic, either. The original 35 was even more difficult to use, though. ;-)

Exactly! Again, a 10C from ebay looks pretty good, though expensive.

Reply to
krw

Just get the mint condition emulator.

It is called "classic calculator".

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Don't be ridiculous.

I have it but it has several problems. Major of which, it doesn't work well on my phone and the phone isn't as handy as a standalone calculator.

Reply to
krw

I have a bunch of 32SIIs, collected by sniping on ebay. They're OK. They hide Pi, so I just type 3.14.

No, it's (I think) like the adhesive on 3M 1181 copper EMI tape. Only instead of copper foil, it's a backing tape that get removed.

No, the nickel particles are insulated from each other so it only conducts through the adhesive.

I have another vague memory, (It's been 20 years or so since I bothered to regularly read the trade mags), that somebody also had a thermal melt system where you sandwiched a special film in the connection and heated it with with a flat bar shaped tool along the row of contacts.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

But what if you need 10 decimal places? ;-)

Reply to
krw

The HP book says dead batteries can be charged in 6 hours with the calculator off, so I guess it's ok to charge NiMh of similar capacity for 3 or 4 hours.

Bill Bowden

I used to know pi to 100 places, but I can still remember about 18.

The inmates,as usual, pretend to judge.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

--
A poor workman blames his tools.

Got a list of good and bad and why?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

--
Really?  Do you have some first-hand examples and bug lists which
you've generated to support your claim or are you just throwing
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Geez, John, you are getting stranger and stranger.

I do know that all you are is an old bitty. Useless old hag.

Reply to
krw