HP-25 calculator shows all zeros, or blank display

Recently aquired a HP-25 programmable calculator (1975) that had dead batteries and wouldn't power up correctly. Sometimes the display indicated 12 zeros and other times the display was blank and a few keys would indicate a single "0" in various places.

I took the thing apart. cleaned the board and keyboard with alcohol and toothbrush and contact cleaner and managed to get it working for a couple hours using a couple alkaline AA batteries.

Put it all back together and everything seemed to work right but the next day it went back to the original erratic operation. I read an article indicating possible noise problems on the data line that was fixed with a 20k resistor termination on some particular line. I tried that idea on a few pins without sucess and cannot get the thing to power up with further cleaning. Haven't looked at the clock signals on a scope yet. Hard to find a schematic for old HP calculators.

Any ideas?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Something that old, certainly by now has some cold solder connections. I would reflow the whole board, especially if you say alkaline leaked out of the batteries onto the board and the cleaning had some positive effect. If there are any electrolytic capacitors on the board, change them too.

Reply to
Circuit

Have you tried the fansite, hpmuseum.org?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

The battery compartment isn't sealed and the batteries tend to leak corrosive goo into the guts.

Argh. Use NiCad batteries instead. Alkalines have a higher terminal voltage (1.5V) than NiCads (1.35V). I don't know if you can damage anything with the higher voltage, but it doesn't hurt to be safe. If you don't have NiCads, use a bench power supply at 2.70VDC.

Contact cleaner leaves an oily residue. That's fine for the slide switches, but not a great idea for the rest of the circuitry. Remove with alcohol.

Did you inspect it for any corroded traces, especially near the battery compartment? The various IC's are quite close to the battery section:

Cleaning UNDER the IC's is tricky. If there's any corrosion under there, it can be scraped out with a stiff piece of wire shoved under the rows of IC leads. Also, brush between the leads.

Something might be loose or dirty around the clock oscillator area. However, my intuition suggests that it might have something to do with the over-voltage.

Ask on the HP Museum forums:

but first check the archives:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

The old alkaline batteries I used measured 2.5 volts DC.

Yes, I inspected every solder joint and trace for problems with a high power magnifying glas. Been doing it for years.

I'll do that.

Thanks,

-Bill

Reply to